Vol. 2 Chapter 2: Dwarves

Mercenary Guild, Olandia Branch

Back in the guild with Luka, I'm currently filling up some papers to become an official S-Rank Mercenary.

"Is this easy to became an S-Rank?." (Liam)

I mean, I just want to say that I am barely 2 weeks old as a mercenary guild member. I must say, being promoted to the highest rank is a bit too easy, like in video games with cheats on or the difficulty is set on easy or peaceful mode.

"No, that's not easy. But there are a number of cases where within a day, newbies turn into S-Rank adventurers or mercenaries due to their latent abilities or because they are awakened heroes, so it's not unusual, but it's still rare." (Luka)

I see... That's understandable. If you're an awakened hero like Lynette, you could immediately turn into S-Rank because they are ridiculous as fuck.

"Like just what happened 5 months ago." (Luka)

"What happened?." (Liam)

Did something happened while I'm going reinforcing my islands?

"A kid with exceptional abilities was promoted into an S-Rank within a day. After he beat the shit out of a middle S-Ranker. Isn't that unbelievable? Compared to you, you're still in the realm of common sense, probably."(Luka)

"What do you mean probably? I'm still normal in a sense here compared to Claire right?." (Liam)

I didn't manage to grasp how strong she is because she didn't take me seriously, but being ranked as SSS-Rank standard should makes her pretty strong, possibly stronger than a certain muscle head mercenary guild master back on Burduex. Thus making me weaker than them.

"Bloodborne? Yeah, she is out of realm and a friendly advice, please don't associate with her anymore." (Luka)

"Why?." (Liam)

I didn't understand why they were scared about her... A girl with an angelic smile like that and somehow a clutz on top of that, it is really hard to believe that she is an upper S-Rank adventurer, much more about their unexplainable fear of her.

Did something happen that made her feared by those around her--the people hailing from guilds of mercenaries and adventurers.

"She ain't evil or anything but do you know why she was called bloodborne?." (Luka)

"No..." (Liam)

I only known her for half a day and nothing more.

"Because in every mission she fights, she will always end up being spattered and covered with blood, and if she has a party, at any point during or at the end of the mission, all of them are mysteriously destined to die for unexplainable reasons. So because of that, she has been soloing for more than 5 years of her service as an adventurer, and due to those reasons and her apparent cold demeanor as a solo adventurer, many misunderstood and sublimated the false accusations against her of being a murderer, or you will die if you talk to her, or whatever whatnot they're talking about. Still the fact that she indirectly killed her teammates is still a truth so better not to stay around her." (Luka)

"Aren't most of those accusations false? Why didn't she defend herself? Also, you knew about that fact, so why didn't you clean and straighten the..." (Liam)

Facts and clean her name from those malicious twisted gossips.

"First of all, Sir Liam, we are from the mercenary guild and she belongs to the adventurers guild. Do you get it? However, the adventurers' guild side didn't remain passive and tried to clean up her name, but she declined and left it as it was, and that's the reason why she was alone and feared by many." (Luka)