Vol. 2 Chapter 20: Demons and Gods (2)

I got some major re-setups in the overall sets that potentially, and essentially shortened the entire fic's worth intended from original 2 volume worth remaining down to few chapters.

Basically rushed I guess, but better than left unattended without clear conclusion.
_________________________________________________

"Hey, this is overkill," said a woman beside me, appearing out of nowhere. It was Noel, an ancient dragon that lives in my territory.

"Why are you here?" I asked nonchalantly as she gazed down, currently possessing the body of Claire.

"You just made this part of the world tremble, you know? I could sense it thousands of kilometers away," she said to me, humming as she sat on the edge of the battleship. "So I came here. I can't communicate with your body on the island, so I came here personally to talk with your conscious body." She continued as her gaze fell to the ground. "A higher devil possessing a human, heh," she said, amused.

"Is that so?" I replied as I watched the horizon fill with flying monsters being wiped out of existence by the thundering roar of fire, lasers, and countless plasma projectiles slamming into their bodies, extinguishing them off the world.

"You seem to be emotional? Is that your woman?" she inquired as she gazed at Claire, who was currently controlled by Nexis. "Not bad," she remarked to me.

"Could you stop playing around?" I reprimanded her, but she only pouted. "Can you do something?" I asked her.

"I can, but it would be difficult," she replied.

"Why?" I inquired.

"That's a higher devil. You can't exorcise something that's parasitized by an entity that's entirely ingrained in the soul of that person. By the looks of it, it's already deeply integrated. If I do anything, she will definitely die," she explained.

"You're a useless dragon," I unconsciously muttered.

"Excuse me? I could remove that thing from existence, but it appears she holds dearly to you, so I can't," she replied with a rather aggressive tone, probably insulted by my comment.

"Sorry," I apologized.

"Nothing to be bothered about, really," she said, but I could tell she was sulking. I sighed. I couldn't think of anything to do right now.

"I see. You're not in your right mind, huh? Obviously," she said to me.

"What do you mean by that?" I inquired, as her words seemed more like an observation than an insult.

"Your body is clad in divine power," she explained. "If I remember correctly, only the oracles of the gods have that kind of divinity surrounding them. So perhaps some god has ordered you to do something, something I don't know about." She continued, and I tilted my head in response. "You're being forcefully commanded. Does that ring a bell?" She asked.

"Ah," I groaned as I remembered. "Save Claire... Or else." I muttered. Damn, am I being controlled? But by whom?

"You need to save that woman? Are there any consequences?" she asked, her curiosity evident.

"I'll lose a part of my humanity," I explained, to which she nodded in understanding.

"Understandable. So, whether she's alive or dead, as long as we can save her," she said to me.

"What do you mean by 'alive or dead'?" I inquired.

"That order likely meant saving the woman from that devil, not necessarily ensuring she survives," she clarified, pointing out as she gently caressed her black hair in the breeze.