1 || touring

| CHAPTER ONE

| touring

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ

This world tour had been the most tiring thing I'd experienced in my nineteen years of life, yet somehow as I sat in the car on my way back home, I couldn't help but smile with the excitement of seeing my family again.

"Mason, can you turn the radio off?" I asked my manager, who only shushed at me in response, turning the volume up. He for whatever reason felt the need to pick me up at the airport. It was completely pointless too, because it wasn't like he was the one driving. He wasn't even talking to me. Instead, he rather listened to the radio where some guy was talking about me.

"Gritz and Carrillo still seem to hit it off pretty well, don't they?" one of the guys commented.

I rolled my eyes. The last time we even spoke was almost a year ago. I didn't know what they wanted me to say for them to believe we'd broken up. 

"It was definitely one big publicity stunt," someone who was apparently phoning with the radio guy replied, laughing with a high pitched voice.

"At least he doesn't think we're together," I mumbled. Not many people seemed to share that opinion, so hearing it made me feel pretty relieved. I leaned back in my seat and took out my phone to scroll through my messages, but didn't take long before the radio caught my attention again.

"Hm, maybe. Do you think it has something to do with Genevieve?"

"This is straight up disgusting," I said, scrunching up my nose. Gen had always been like a big sister to me. People building theories around us made both of us uncomfortable and we hadn't made that a secret. People didn't care, though. They're conditioned to believe what they want to be true.

"I told you hanging around her might confuse people."

"There's literally nothing to be confused about! They see a man and a woman hanging out and just assume. Where did they even get the idea?" I thought it was very visible that neither of us saw each other in that way. Also, she was four years older, and I've known her since I was sixteen. How was grooming 'couple goals' to these people?

"Maybe it's because you turn down every attractive girl and then a week later you get seen with her. It happens every time, Oakley." Mason looked at me with his brown eyes piercing into my skin. What did I do wrong now?

I was trying, but the entire relationship thing didn't seem like something for me. I was the kind of person to be by myself. I had friends and I had family and that was enough. I was fine.