49 || love language

| CHAPTER FORTY-NINE
| love language

| CHAPTER FORTY-NINE| love language

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ

"We don't like the song," Mason said. Hanna and I were seated across from him, and we looked at each other. Her eyes were wide, and a little glossy at the harshness of Mason's words. I had heard these words a dozen times before. I thought by now I knew what they would've wanted. Turned out I was wrong.

"What's wrong with it?" I asked.

"We don't feel like this song will be as big of a hit as we were hoping for, so we're shelving it for now."

"Why? Can't we just make some changes?" I suggested.

Hanna nodded, crossing her arms. "We can make it more upbeat. It doesn't have to be a ballad."

Mason shook his head. "No. It's not just the instrumental. It's the lyrics too. You're better off writing something new."

"The lyrics are genius! My fans would absolutely love it," I argued. "It's true, heartfelt, we show exactly who we are in this song, right, Hanna?"

She nodded. "I put a lot of effort into these lyrics. This song is really important to me."

"I'm not saying it'll never get its time. It's just not now." He intertwined his fingers and put his hands on his desk, letting out a sigh. "This will mean you need to come up with something else so Oakley can break his partnership with Stellar and you can be our next big star."

"Okay," Hanna said, looking down at her feet as she stood up and dusted off her skirt. I sucked in the words that were threatening to roll off my tongue. I didn't want Mason to make this situation any more difficult for her than it already was.

"Can you stay for a bit, Oakley?" he asked, his arms now crossed.

"Why?"

"This doesn't concern her," he said, and Hanna flashed me a quick smile before leaving the room.

"It'll have to be quick. Her car is still at the studio."

"It will be," Mason said. "What's going on with your friend?"

"Genevieve?"

"No, Baby Mullen."

"Oh. Right. That's all old news. He's fine." I knew very well Mason wasn't asking to know whether or not Nolan was 'fine'. Clearly he was worried about what that meant for my image and by extension his income.

"I know I can't control what you do and who you're friends with, but I strongly advise you to not spend too much time with people like him."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"He's become big from nepotism. He views the industry differently. If it were the other way around, your friendship would've already ended."

I stood up. The chair made a loud screeching noise as I slid backward.