61 || beauty

| CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE
| beauty

| CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE| beauty

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀɪʟʟᴏ

Life was busy after Nolan left. It was exactly the way I was used to. I'd come home from band rehearsals and would start writing or doing some production work, only stopping once Nolan called me as he did every night. The only changes were the scheduled meals, therapy sessions, and regularly taking my medication, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Except for the fact that I didn't wake up next to my boyfriend every morning or fall asleep with him lying next to me, I liked my life like this. I wasn't running around chasing any deadlines. I just did what I loved, no pressure.

"We would love to see you perform at a festival too, you know?" my mom said as the two of us were having breakfast. My parents insisted on having every meal together. They said it wasn't to monitor me. Instead, it was simply to spend more time together. "When your dad and I were younger, we would go to festivals all the time."

"You I get, but Dad?" I asked, followed by a sip of warm tea. Today was going to have to consist of a lot of vocal rest. I'd been straining it for a few days on end now, and I was supposed to be performing at Harmonix tomorrow with Hanna.

"Yes," my mom said, nodding with a smile. "It wasn't really his scene, but Mateo would always have extra tickets he'd give to us. And then he'd miraculously be unable to make it. I think it was your uncle's way of telling Axel to spend more time with me."

"Sounds like something he would do," I said with a grin. "But I doubt Dad enjoyed the festival scene very much."

My mom shrugged. "Maybe not. But he enjoys seeing us happy. Especially you and your sister."

"What is up with her anyways?" I asked. I'd barely seen her since we'd been to that movie the other day. We'd talked a lot then. "It feels like she's been avoiding me."

"Oh, that's not it," my mom said with a grin, small wrinkles pulling out words from her dark eyes.

"Please don't tell me she has another boyfriend."

"No, thank god," she said, rolling her eyes. "No. She actually applied for some extracurriculars."

I frowned. Trisha hated school. Why would she willingly spend more time there if it wasn't some boy?

"What? Like... gossip club or something?"

"A writing class. She's been reading a lot of poetry."

"No," I said, laughing as I had another bite of the grilled cheese sandwich my mother had made. "You're kidding."

"And she's in English Literature next year too."

"So she wants to be a writer now?"

My mom shook her head. "I think she enjoys the analysis of it all. If you ask me... I think she's taken an interest in psychology."