45 || do you love him?

| CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
| do you love him?

| CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE| do you love him?

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ

I was about to meet Nolan's parents for real this time, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. My stomach did flips, and I'd spent hours in the bathroom trying to make sure I presented myself well.

After three hours of getting ready, I stood in front of the door with a bouquet of flowers. I wasn't sure whether it would be too much, so I went back inside my car to mutilate the bouquet before I walked up to the door again.

They knew I was there, though. They'd already opened the fence for me and were possibly watching me through the cameras to make sure I wasn't doing anything shady.

I took a deep breath and rang the doorbell, and Nolan opened up almost immediately with a large smile.

"I'm not allowed to hug you," he said his smile falling a bit. "And I'm also not sure if I'm allowed to take those," he said, his smile falling even more.

"It's fine," I said. "I'll get you fresh ones once you're allowed to take them."

He looked behind him, and his parents were right there, looking at our every interaction to make sure I wasn't smuggling him anything.

"Hi," I said, awkwardly walking up to them with the flowers in one of my hands. I stuck my free hand out, introducing myself to his mom first since she'd never met me before, and from what Nolan told me, she was also the most difficult parent. It didn't surprise me, with her shoulder-length bleached hair with dark eyebrows, that made her look like she was perpetually angry. She and Nolan looked weirdly alike in features. They shared their nose and eye shape, and both had high cheekbones that really showed they were related.

When his mom took my hand to shake, I introduced myself. "I'm Oakley. Nice to meet you, Ms..."

"Mullen," she said. "I kept the name."

"Cool," I said without thinking, and my heart dropped, but I pretended it was nothing. "Uhm, here," I said, handing her the flowers. "Thank you so much for letting me come over. Oh, and Merry Christmas."

Her stoic face hadn't changed, but she took the flowers with a nod, and I turned to Nolan's dad.

"Good to see you again, Mr. Mullen."

"You too, Kid," he said with a smile. I turned around to look back at Nolan, who had a smirk on his face.

"Let's watch a movie," he suggested. "One of the old Disney movies. My dad has them on VHS." He grinned like a child, and I smiled. I was glad to see him again after an entire week apart.

"At least it has some novelty to it," I said, referring to what I said in defense of my vinyl collection when I saw his closet full of DVDs.

"You really hate me, don't you?" he said.