40 || I'm the asshole

| CHAPTER FORTY
| I'm the asshole

| CHAPTER FORTY| I'm the asshole

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

I was woken up in the middle of the night by my ringtone shrieking loudly in the silence of the night. I thought it was part of my dream at first, until it wouldn't stop.

I reached for my phone on my nightstand and checked it out, thinking maybe it was an emergency. Why else would I be woken up at nearly 3 AM?

When I checked the caller ID, Oakley popped up.

"What's wrong? are you okay?" I said upon picking up. I rubbed my eyes, the bright light of my phone had startled them to the point of burning. Maybe something happened with his label again? Maybe his mind went spiraling again and he needed me right now.

"Sorry, I woke you up, didn't I?"

"Yeah, but it's fine. Did anything happen? Are you okay?"

"No, I'm fine. I'm just bored."

So not an emergency. Just a late night phone call. I groaned. "Oakley, it's like three AM."

"It's only 2:49," he argued. "Anyway, what are you doing?"

"Probably not sleeping anymore," I said, sitting up before leaning against my headboard.

"Perfect. Can we go to the beach house? I'll drive."

I sighed, rubbing my eyes once again. There was no way he woke me up for this. 

"Nolan?"

"Can't we go in the morning? Why now?"

"We're now both awake anyway, and I'm bored. I'm gonna go for a drive either way. I just thought it would be fun to do together."

"Fine. Whatever," I said, finally giving in. Maybe I'd fall back asleep in the car. "But next time please just wake me up in the morning."

"It's already morning," he said, quietly laughing at his own joke.

"I'm serious, Oakley."

"I know! I'll be there in like... ten-ish minutes."

"Are you already on your way?"

"No, not yet. But—"

"Then you'll be here in fifteen, no shorter alright?" Fifteen was honestly already pushing it.

"The roads are practically empty at this hour anyway—"

"And there's no rush," I said. I felt a little bad for interrupting him, but I didn't want him to speed on his way over here. The benefit of the empty roads was already counteracted by the darkness. "I won't be ready before then anyway, so fifteen minutes."

He didn't say anything, but I heard him walking down a set of stairs. I got up out of my bed and picked out a random set of clothes to wear.

"Do you even want to see me?" he asked, his voice cutting through the silence like a knife.