54 || he's tired

Had to update because I forgot to change the placeholders to names 😃 I forgot what the characters in Nolan's movie were called in the original version, so the names are probably different, but if you've read the original, please note that I'm talking about the same project haha

| CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR
| he's tired

| CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR| he's tired

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

Being with Oakley's family even for one night was like a culture shock to me. Not only was Oakley actually willing to talk to them, but he was also very affectionate, always ready to go in for a hug.

Despite the very different atmospheres, I felt safe in Oakley's home. Not necessarily in the living spaces the family shared, but mostly in his bedroom where we would recharge.

The door was allowed to be closed. In fact, everyone wanted it to remain closed. No one came in with impromptu drug tests. His bedroom also wasn't the mess that mine was—although it was undeniably less neat than it was the last time I came here.

If my home was a prison, Oakley's would be the outside world. I hadn't even realized I'd spent my life in such confinement.

I went back to the prison I called home the next day, and my dad was gone. I wasn't expecting him to be back soon either. My mom, however, had been awaiting me with crossed arms.

"Where have you been," she asked, eerily calmly. She looked me in the eyes as she asked me the question.

"Oakley's," I answered honestly. She probably figured that was where I went anyway. If not, she should've been paying more attention.

"You didn't show up to your audition," she stated.

"I'm sorry." I looked down at my feet. "Dad and I got into an argument."

"So?"

I looked up at her, my eyes narrowed.

"So I wasn't in the mood?"

"This is your livelihood, Nolan. You think people with a standard nine-to-five just skip work whenever they 'aren't in the mood'?"

I didn't know batshit about what normal people did, but I assumed they wouldn't skip.

"I guess not. Sorry," I answered. "I'm gonna go to bed." I was already making my way toward the stairs when my mom called out for me again.

"Nolan, wait," was what she said. I turned around to face her, and she leaned over the back of the couch. "Do you remember that audition a few weeks ago for that series about the girl taking care of her siblings?" my mom asked.

"I didn't get a callback," I recalled. There were plenty of other opportunities, so it didn't bother me too much.

"They just called. Due to some scheduling problems with their first choice, he can't do it anymore. They're considering you, but they want a follow-up audition first."