34 || everyone dances

| CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
| everyone dances

| CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR| everyone dances

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

"Excuse me, can we talk?" someone asked me, a hand very lightly placed on my lower arm. It took me a while to react, as I was stuck staring at my phone with a smile on my face. My mom kept her promise and let me have my phone again, and apparently I had no self control.

"Oh, yeah, of course," I said. "Let me just..."

I turned back to my phone, sending Oakley a quick reply.

Oakley:
Maybe I should go as a mailbox to receive all the early birthday wishes

You:
As much as I'd love that, I really want to see you dressed in something other than a hoodie or a t-shirt

Oakley:
A mailbox is not a t-shirt!

You:
You know what I mean, surprise me x

I'd noticed that even in special events, he tended to go dressed in a simple pair of jeans with a sweatshirt or t-shirt. The only time I'd seen him wear anything differently was his graduation picture on Instagram.

"It's something private," Riley said, but I just nodded. I assumed they'd consider me for another role, or perhaps the adaptation of the spin-off to this book, but things got weird when we got to my trailer and they started pacing around the little space there was.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," they said, frowning like I'd just said something ridiculous. "Yeah, why?"

I sat down on the chair, and they followed my example, dropping the 'cool' act again.

"You know Kylan pretty well, don't you?"

"I guess so," I said, recalling when Kylan told me about, in his words, 'having to suck Riley's dick' for his part. It wasn't my business, but I did wonder what exactly had been going on, and I was getting the feeling that I was about to find out.

"I'm getting these horrible mixed signals from him."

"Mixed signals?"

"Yeah, you know? He's like... I can't. I'm sorry. I don't know what I can say without like..." They already got up, ready to leave, and I wanted to stop them, but I didn't know what I could tell them either. As much as I hated Kylan, I couldn't out him to anyone, not even to another queer person.

They paused at the door, standing there for a few seconds too many to be normal. My guess was that they knew that too, which was likely why didn't didn't turn around to talk to me again. Instead they were talking at the door.