51 || emotional attachment

| CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE
| emotional attachment

| CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE| emotional attachment

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ

The more time we spent, the quieter he became. Our conversations were now mostly one-sided as he answered 'yes' and 'no' to things that weren't yes or no questions.

I left it as it was, assuming that if he wanted to talk about it, he would. In the meantime, I left a movie playing in the background while I had my laptop on my lap and my headphones on, working on a piece of a song I'd recorded earlier in the day as Hanna was late and I needed some time to kill. It was all freestyle, but I knew I could find a way to make it work.

I was listening to the changes I'd made to the production, but Nolan tapped my shoulder, so I took the headphones off and let them hang around my neck.

"Hey," I said, turning around so I could face him. He did the same, and took my hand, his fingers snaking and tangling into my own.

"I'm nervous," he confessed, his eyes immediately darting down to our hands.

"I know," I said. "But you don't have to be. I bet my parents will be excited to meet you."

"You haven't told them?" he asked, his eyes meeting mine for only a fraction of a second before looking past me first, and then darting back down to our entwined fingers. His hands were warm, and so were his cheeks.

I shook my head, I hadn't gotten around to doing it yet. But I didn't want this to worry him, so I used my free hand to reach out to his cheek, and I used my thumb to caress it as his eyes finally held mine.

"You're what makes me happy, and that's all they ever want for me."

He forced out a tight-lipped smile. He didn't believe me, which was understandable after what happened with his dad today. I didn't want to stress him out by giving him the opportunity to overthink, so I pulled at his hands.

"We should go downstairs. My mom could come home any moment now."

"Wait, is there anything I should know? Do I look alright? Because I was dressed to play male stripper off duty. I haven't touched my hair since I woke up and—"

"You look good," I assured him. He'd never let me in on his train of thoughts like that before, but I loved that he felt safe enough to share his irrational and frantic thought process with me for once. "I'm kinda glad you didn't end up auditioning, though."

"Right, because you want me all to yourself, is that it?" he asked with a grin. "For your information, no nudity was required for that movie. And even if it were, you'd be the only one allowed to touch."

"Pervert!" I said, tackling him as I covered his lips with my hands. His face grew redder through his stifled laughter. "No pervert behavior around my parents, please."