56 || the illusion of control

| CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX
| the illusion of control

| CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX| the illusion of control

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

"There you go," I said, placing the bowl of yogurt, fruits, and granola in front of him.

He looked up at me, quietly sliding the bowl closer to him.

"Thanks," he said softly. I smiled, sitting next to him with my own breakfast.

I took a spoonful of the food on my spoon, making sure I had equal amounts of the yogurt, berries and granola so it was the perfect balance of sweet and creamy and crunchy.

"When does that one movie come out?" he asked.

"Rule Number One?" I asked, and he nodded, popping a yoghurt-covered blueberry in his mouth. "Early July."

I wasn't looking forward to facing everyone again. When we finished filming over a month ago, I ignored everyone, not wanting to be confronted with the problems I was facing.

"When were those festivals you were playing?" He had invited me to go see him, but I wasn't quite sure yet unless I had the exact date he was playing.

"One of them is in a week," he said, his fingers tracing the rim of the bowl. "The other one is June third. It's on a Saturday."

"Oh," I said, looking down at my food. I had another spoonful as I took the time to think.

If I was getting this role, I was supposed to leave next month, and I most likely would be staying there for at least a few weeks before they would start shooting in California.

"I'm not sure I'll make it. I mean, if I get this part."

"It's okay." He smiled at me, but it wasn't beaming and bright as usual. Instead, he was distracted, drawing circles in the yogurt with his spoon. "I'm just not sure I can invite you to next week's performance since I'm just a guest."

"Maybe I won't get the role. If not, I'll probably be able to see you."

I finished the rest of my breakfast as I wanted to be at the audition a little earlier to go over my lines a last time once I got there.

"I hope you do get it," he said. "There will be countless of opportunities for you to see me live."

"You're right," I said, loading my bowl in the dishwasher. Once I was done, I pressed a kiss to his lips. He looked a bit caught off guard when I pulled away—he had looked a bit distracted all morning. I assumed it was still related to what happened yesterday, but I didn't want to rush through that conversation. "I love you."