22 || an organized mess

| CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
| an organized mess

| CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO| an organized mess

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

Oakley:
How about you ask me out on a proper date?

I didn't remember the last time I'd used up my facial muscles this much. I'd given up on trying to keep a poker face because I'd already lost that battle.

"Did you just win the lottery?" Maria asked.

"He's texting someone," Mylo said, coming up from behind me. I'd put my phone away so quickly it slammed down on the table, and Maria physically looked hurt at the force with which my phone hit the table.

"Sorry," I said, not to anyone in particular. Almost like I was apologizing to my phone.

"Aaliyah?" Mylo asked, for once getting it right. It'd been the first time in weeks. Everyone was starting to believe he did it on purpose, as statistically he must've guessed right at least half the time.

"Yeah, that's me," she said. "You finally got it."

He let out a small gesture of victory with his fist and then sat down between Maria and me. "Who're you texting?" he asked. I hadn't noticed he was speaking to me until I looked up from the table and realized everyone was looking at me.

"Just a friend," I said, biting my lip to hide my smile.

"What's going on?"

My smile had faded as quickly as it had appeared as Kylan sat at the table.

"He's texting someone," Aaliyah said. "I'm guessing it's his soon-to-be number sixteen."

Kylan looked at me with curious eyes. "Is that true, Nolan?"

"It's just a friend," I mumbled, putting my phone in my pocket safely. "And it's my business, not yours." That reply was really only directed at Kylan, but Mylo also took it personally.

"Stingy," Mylo said. "Is she hot at least?"

Kylan sat down straight across from me with an amused grin. "Is she?"

Adela innocently assuming I was talking about girls at the restaurant a few weeks ago was one thing, but Mylo immediately assuming now was somewhat of a problem.

I didn't want to be in the closet. I didn't want people to think I was straight. I didn't want to hide my sexuality anymore. But when straight people made these types of assumptions, it was like I was forced to either get into the closet or come out. And of course Kylan had to be there to pour salt on the wound. I wanted to throw in his face how not in the closet I was, but I couldn't. I'd never properly come out to anyone before.

"You guys are disgusting," Maria said, hitting Mylo in the arm. "I bet she's very kind, like Nolan."

The definite pro was that I now knew Maria really didn't overhear Kylan talking about my sexuality.