36 || plenty interesting

| CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
| plenty interesting

| CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX| plenty interesting

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

I woke up with a banging headache in a room I didn't recognize, with my head nearly hanging off the side of the bed. I nearly freaked out, thinking I'd dreamt the last year or so of my life and none of it ever happened, but I could breathe again once Oakley walked into the room from what I assumed was the bathroom, as his hair was wet and still dripping down on his grey t-shirt.

The difference between dream and reality slowly started clearing up, and I soon remembered almost all of it. The party, Oakley's hair, the carpet, boyfriends.

He was humming a familiar melody. My boyfriend was humming a familiar melody. He must not have noticed I was awake yet.

"Morning," I said, laying very still so my head wouldn't have to hurt any more than it already did.

Oakley turned around quickly, smiling as he saw me lying there halfway upside down.

"You really are a wild sleeper. When I woke up, you were using my leg as a pillow."

"That's what you get for having a small bed," I said, blinking away the fogginess, but then I remembered that I'm not supposed to see immediately upon waking up. I had forgotten to take out my contact lenses.

Oakley handed me a bottle of water and ibuprofen.

I first drank half the bottle of water before the pill, because my mouth was dry like the Sahara desert.

"I was afraid you'd get alcohol poisoning with the amount of shit you drank."

"I'm not that easy to kill," I told him. I tried to blink away the dryness in my eyes, but it wasn't helping much as I was still very much dehydrated.

"I should go home. I still have my contacts in and I'll be too blind to even take two steps once I take them out," I said, but he stopped me from even getting off the bed.

"Wait, Gen wants to talk with us. Maybe we could stay for breakfast and then I'll get you home."

"Okay," I said. "I'll use the bathroom real quick."

•••

I did everything with itchy eyes and a headache. My shower, brushing my teeth, and apparently, it was all taking too long for Oakley.

"Are you done yet?" he asked for the third time already.

"Yeah," I said. He opened the door slightly, peeking his head through.

"I forgot my phone," he said with a sheepish smile, and I couldn't help but smile too. He came in, right up behind me, to open one of the drawers. I hadn't noticed this before, but he was a little taller than I was, probably just by half an inch or so. I watched us in the mirror as he checked his phone. He was looking angelic with his hair still shiny from being damp, and his thick set of eyelashes emphasizing his dark eyes. He was beautiful.