appropriate punishment

Heyi bounded through the screen door in a red string bikini, refreshed from the swim she had taken after she and Wooyoung got home from their meeting with San

"Hi, Dad." She kissed him on the cheek and then plopped down at the kitchen table, toweling her hair with a fluffy beach towel. "Welcome back to Antipolo!" She poured herself a tall glass of lemonade and drank it down in one gulp.

Jang Geun-Suk, who had just returned from a week-long A.N.JELL conference, couldn't help laughing, and Shinhye shook her head. Then, taking in their daughter's outfit, she said, "Honey, I know you're hot, but you'll have to put on a little more than that for dinner."

"Okay." Heyi said, jumping up and flouncing out of the room. "But don't start without me!"

"Woo! Soup's on!" called Shinhye. Her shoes clattered on the Spanish-tiled floor of the kitchen as she carried a large covered pot to the table. She looked crisp and fresh in a petal green linen suit.

"I hope we're not really having soup in this weather," Geun-Suk said, kissing his wife's cheek as he made his way to the table.

"Vichyssoise-cold soup," said Shinhye, smiling. "And pasta salad."

"Not only are you a brilliant and thoughtful gourmet cook," said Geun-Suk, scattering placemats around the butcher-block table, "but a beautiful one at that."

Park Shinhye, who had just returned from her business trip with Choi Siwon on Saturday, did look stunning. The pale green suit complemented his figure and brought out the sparkle in her eyes. It was easy to see where the siblings had inherited their fresh good looks.

"Mmm, something smells good," said Wooyoung, walking into the kitchen, his purple hair still pulled back in a ponytail to keep his hair off his neck. "Dad!" He exclaimed. "I didn't know you were back!"

Wooyoung wondered if their Mom had had a chance to fill their Dad in on the events of the last week. From the smile she gave him as he pecked her on the cheek, he guessed he hadn't. Not yet, anyway. He grabbed a stack of ceramic bowls sitting on the counter and carried them to the table. Maybe Mom will just let it pass, he thought, knowing it was only wishful thinking.

Shinhye followed Wooyoung to the table with a colorful dish of cold, tri-colored fusilli and sat down. Geun-Suk reached over and began serving the pasta.

Heyi raced back into the room and fell into her seat breathlessly. "I'm so hungry I could eat the entire Philippines," she said, ladling some soup into her bowl.

"Well, I guess that's better," said Shinhye, eyeing her daughter's skimpy purple cotton mini dress. "Yes, nightclub attire is definitely more appropriate table than beachwear."

"Hey, Mom, did you know that Virgo men have to be careful about the spending habits of Sagittarius women?" Heyi asked, changing the subject to impart the latest wisdom she had picked up from her astrology book. "You better watch out. Dad might go on a spending spree and spend all your hard-earned money."

"I think Virgo men have to watch Gemini siblings wild pool parties when their parents are out of town," Shinhye said dryly, causing the siblings to closely examine their pasta salad.

"What's this?" Geun-Suk inquired, raising his eyebrows.

"Uh, Wooyoung and I just wanted to have a few people over to the pool, you know, to get out of the heat...."

"Let me guess. Before you knew what was happening, the entire junior class and some extras showed up, and how could you possibly deprive them of the chance to swim in our pool?"

"Yeah, something like that," said Heyi, swirling her soup spoon in her vichyssoise, then looking up at her Dad guiltily. Wooyoung remained silent, dreading what else their Mom would reveal about the siblings' unchaperoned week. Yeosang's parents had been out of town as well, so Yeosang and Wooyoung had decided to try living together. Naturally, Shinhye had found out, and Wooyoung knew he hadn't heard the last of it.

"Your Dad and I haven't had a chance to discuss this yet, but you two know the rules, so after dinner your Dad and I will decide on an appropriate punishment."

The siblings exchanged despairing looks. "And there's something else I wanted to talk with you about." Shinhye said, looking at Wooyoung.

'This is it.' he thought, bracing himself.

"I've been thinking about what I said on Saturday about coming up with a plan to get San's parents back together," Shinhye continued. "And I just don't think it's the right thing to do. I mean, we all want to help San's parents, but we don't have the right to interfere in their personal lives."

Wooyoung was so relieved that his mother hadn't mentioned his little experiment with Yeosang that it took him a moment to comprehend what he had said.

"But I've come up with the greatest plan ever!" Wonyoung said enthusiastically. "His parents will be back together in no time." Wooyoung kicked his sister underneath the table.

"Ouch!" Heyi yelped. Wooyoung's jaw tightened. For all Heyi's cunning, sometimes she could be so dense.

"Did you hurt yourself, Honey?" Shinhye asked in concern.

"No, it's nothing. Just hit the table leg," Heyi grumbled, sending Wooyoung a dirty look.

"Mom, I thought we all decided—" Wooyoung said calmly, remembering his promise to San.

"I know," said Shinhye. "But I think we all got a little carried away at the time."

"Your Mom's right," agreed Grun-Suk. "As a family, we've never believed in meddling in other people's private affairs, and I don't think this is the time to start."

Wooyoung stared down at his plate. They had promised San they would write the love letter, and he was counting on them. He already felt so discouraged. How could he let him down?

'Maybe we could just do this one thing.' he thought. He looked up at his sister, who nodded and gave him a knowing look. Sometimes Wooyoung felt that Heyi could read his thoughts.

"I mean it. No interfering in San's parents' affairs," Shinhye said sternly, noting the look that had passed between them.

"Okay Mom." The siblings said in unison.

" The siblings said in unison