just some job interview for the summer

"Ms

"Ms. Heyi, what in the world are you doing?" Chanty exclaimed, eyeing her friend suspiciously on Wednesday morning.

Heyi was hopping around the girls' bathroom of Angelwood High with a safety pin in her mouth. She had one leg in a pair of cream-colored panty hose and was trying to balance herself as she pulled the other nylon leg up.

"Oh, hi, Chanty," Wonyoung said through clenched teeth. "Fancy meeting you here."

"Going somewhere?" Chanty inquired.

"Darn!" Heyi exclaimed, letting the safety pin fall. She looked down in dismay as a long run traveled down her left leg. She ripped off the panty hose and threw them in the trash. "So, no stockings," she muttered.

"Nice undies," said Chanty, looking with disdain at Heyi's white cotton underwear. Heyi was wearing a pair of days-of-the-week underpants that she wore only when she was at the very bottom of her under wear pile. The word "Monday" was splashed across the front and back in bold red block letters.

"Do you mind?" Heyi asked, quickly pulling on a white cotton blouse and attaching an antique gold brooch to the neck. She then scrambled into a pleated, cream linen skirt and blazer she had "borrowed" from her mother's closet. The skirt promptly slipped to her hips.

"Hey, Chanty?" Heyi said, turning to face her friend, who was watching with her arms crossed. "You think you could give me a hand with this?" She took the safety pin out of her mouth and waved her hand at the oversize skirt.

"Yeah, yeah," Chanty said, wondering when Heyi would deign to reveal the purpose behind her professional attire. "Turn around." Heyi turned around and faced the mirror, straightening the collar of her crisp white blouse.

"Ouch!" she screamed as the safety pin poked her sharply in the back.

"Heyi! If you keep fidgeting, I'm never going to be able to do this," Chanty said.

"Sorry," Heyi said, forcing herself to stand still while Chanty secured the safety pin. "Just try not to draw any more blood, OK?"

Chanty watched as Heyi slipped her feet into a pair of low ivory heels. A pearl choker and a pair of understated gold earrings with pearl drops at the ends complemented the outfit.

Grabbing her cosmetic bag, Heyi turned toward the mirror to coat her lips in a sophisticated shade of mauve lipstick. She rubbed her lips with a tissue and smacked them together. Snatching a cream linen bow from her bag, she pulled her hair back at the nape of her neck for the final touch.

"Wow," she said out loud, gazing at herself in the mirror. "I look just like Mom!" Satisfied with the effect, she threw her regular clothes in her bag and turned to go.

"Jung Heyi!" Chanty demanded. "Where do you think you're going?" she was quickly losing patience with the way Heyi had been behaving lately, so secretive and sly.