* what a jerk!

Yunho and Yena walked across the sand to the beach party by the water

Yunho and Yena walked across the sand to the beach party by the water. It was another hot, sultry night and sounds of music and laughter greeted their ears as they approached the lively beach barbecue.

Yunho stood at the top of a sand dune, gazing down at the sight before him. A grill had been set up in the sand, and the smell of barbecued hamburgers and hot dogs wafted up to him. A group of kids wearing shorts and bathing suits were playing volleyball across a net in the sand. Other kids were throwing Frisbees and footballs. Couples were scattered across the sand, talking and cuddling together.

What in the world am I doing here? Yunho thought as he took in the happy scene. He wanted to run into the water and swim to the other side of the ocean. When Yunho had invited him to the party, his the first instinct was to say no. Even though she was a popular, pretty girl, with her long wavy hair and deep brown eyes, rich society girls weren't his type. But, he had told himself, he had vowed to be more sociable. So he had accepted the invitation, thinking he might find Jang Wolyoung here. When he had found out that it was Wonyoung he really wanted, he had been even more determined to come. After all, she did seem to spend all her time with Yena.

"What on earth! Aaak!" he yelled, falling face down on the blanket and shielding his body with his arms. "Hit the deck! It's a crashing planet!"

Everyone laughed except for Yena, who was not amused. "Hey, Jongho, see that constellation over there?" she said, pointing up to the sky.

"That's a symbol. The Big Dipper." Jongho laughed good-naturedly.

Yunho sat uncomfortably on the blanket with Yena, watching the merriment before him. He casually twirled a stick around in the sand, considering the possibility of burying himself up to the neck. Yena looked over at Yunho's handsome profile.

"So, Yunho," Yena said, "are you having a good time?"

"Yeah, great," he mumbled.

"Hey," said Jungwoo. "Where do you think the Jang siblings are?"

"I think they're at home sulking," Yena said cheerfully. "They're grounded for the week."

Well," said Jungwoo, his brown eyes bright, "I don't believe it. I think that's just an excuse." He lowered his voice, drawing everybody's attention to him. "It just so happens that I've seen a certain Jang and a certain snobby senior together after school numerous times this week."

"Yeah, that's right. We saw Sanband Wooyoung at the PJS Burger on Tuesday," said Rei.

"They were acting kind of funny, weren't they?" added Hangyul.

Just then San sauntered down the beach and approached their blanket.

"Well, speak of the devil!" said Seungmin.

"Hey, Choi San, what are you doing, crashing our party?" joked Jongho. "You're too old for this."

"Well, I didn't want your little gathering to be a total failure," said San, taking a seat on the blanket near Mingi. He looked at him and smiled, making it clear why he was there. Mingi mustered a weak smiled and turned back to the group.

San sighed and looked around him, noticing Yunho sitting next to Yena. "Hey, Jeong Yunho," he said. "You're a gate-crasher too, huh?"

"Yeah, guess so," Yunho responded.

"No, San. Yunho was invited," Yena said haughtily.

San ignored Yena, his longtime archenemy, and turned to Yunho again. "There's something I want to talk to you about," he said, bringing his head close to Yunho. San gave him a hard sell on the merits of ATZ, providing a complete rundown of the workings of the fraternity. "So, hazing starts next week if you're interested, man,"

"Thanks," said Yunho. "I'll think about you know."

"Hey San, where's Wooyoung?" asked Jungwoo.

San sent him a withering look, glancing over at Mingi anxiously. He was looking down at the blanket. "How should I know?" he snapped.

"Yeah, San," Hangyul chimed in. "We want to know why you've been spending so much time with Wooyoung."

"Inquiring minds want to know," Rei said, giggling.

San fell silent, unsure as to how to respond. Were they baiting him, aware that Wooyoung had dumped him to go back to that. "Don't you juniors have more interesting things to talk about?" he asked gruffly.

Suddenly Mingi stood up quietly with his bag and slipped away unnoticed from the group. San watched him leave in dismay. When he'd gotten a few yards away, he broke into a run. San watched helplessly as he ran down the beach, following hus course with his eyes until he became a little speck on the horizon.

Yunho also watched Mingi disappear, yearning to run down the beach as he had. He didn't know how much more of this party he could take. Yena and San together were just too much for him in one night. "Uh, Yena," he said finally, turning to her. "I think I'm about ready to go. What about you?"

"What?" She stared at him open mouthed. "But the party has only gotten started. There are going to be games and dancing and probably a huge bonfire."

The prospect of enduring hours more of the party was more than Yunho could stomach. "I'm really sorry," he said. "Can I give you a ride home?"

"I can get a ride with someone else, thanks," Yena said, flipping her hair off her shoulders. Her face flushed with anger as Yunho said good-bye to the group and walked off. How dare he humiliate her this way! She got up and stood in the sand, clenching her fists. What a jerk!

 What a jerk!