* mini-recorder

"So, I hear Yunho left the beach barbecue early," said Wonyoung, trying not to gloat

"So, I hear Yunho left the beach barbecue early," said Wonyoung, trying not to gloat. Wonyoung and Yena were stretched out on matching chaise longues by the side of the sparkling Jang's pool, soaking in the hot rays of the Saturday-afternoon sun.

Yena snorted. "What a bore! Looks like he's going to be hanging out with San. San was laying it on thick about ATZ."

"Really?" said Wonyoung, her ears perking up.

"Yeah, you can have him," Yena said in disgust.

"Gee, thanks, Yena," said Wonyoung, smiling quietly to herself. At least Yena was out of the picture. Now she just had to get him to pay more attention to her.

Yena waved her hand magnanimously. "No problem," she said, turning a fraction of an inch to work on her tan. Keeping her body perfectly still, she reached over to the deck to flip through the stations of the portable radio.

"Yena, if you keep turning yourself like that, you're going to roast like an animal," Wonyoung said, sitting up to smooth suntan lotion on her legs.

"I'm telling you, Wonyoung, timing is everything," Yena insisted, barely moving her lips as she spoke. "Fifteen minutes on each side. One hour later, you've got a beautiful, even tan."

"Fifteen minutes on each side?" Wonyoung repeated. "How many sides have you got?" She took a long swallow from her ice-cold lemonade, dabbing her moist forehead with the cool glass.

"Four, of course," Yena explained. "Two-sided tanning is a fallacy. You can't just do front and back, you have to do both sides, too."

"Really?" asked Wonyoung. "Okay, which side are you on now?"

"Right side up, right cheek to the sun, chin back," Yena ordered.

Wonyoung assumed the position Yena was describing. "How long do we have to hold this?" she complained, wriggling around impatiently.

"Fifteen minutes, obviously," explained Yena, "and then we do the left side."

Wonyoung lay back and closed her eyes. "Well," she said in a tantalizingly slow voice. "I've got some gossip to help us pass the time."

Yenaturned to face her eagerly. "Yena! We're doing the right side," Wonyoung scolded.

"Okay, let's have it," Yena demanded, turning her face back to the left.

"Only if you swear you won't tell anyone," Wonyoung said, lowering her voice to a whisper. "This is strictly confidential.

"What could be so strictly confidential?" Yena asked.

"San's parents, that's what," Wonyoung said triumphantly.

"Oh, really, Wonyoung." Yena scoffed. "You actually think I would waste my time spreading around boring gossip about San's parents?"