Chapter 7

"Totally sure

"Totally sure."

_______________🥀_____________

Naya

After the late-night hospital visit, Uncle Charlie and I didn't get back to the house until three in the morning. My foot wasn't broken, thank God. But the doc did say I rolled my ankle. Uncle Charlie kept me home for Friday since we didn't get back home until late. He had me on bed rest for Friday and the weekend. I didn't have a problem with it. I got the sleep my body so desperately needed.

I spend some of my bed rest time looking for a picture to paint for art class. Nothing stood out to me; nothing inspired me. I tried Google and Pinterest but couldn't find anything. So, I guess I would have to find inspiration myself.

So, guess what I did?

I took a chance to get up out of bed and found that my ankle strangely didn't hurt anymore. It was sore, yes but didn't hurt as bad as it did last night. I shrugged it off not thinking much about it. I changed into a pair of high waist jeans but kept my oversized shirt on. I slipped my feet into my solid black converse and grabbed everything I needed for my trip. I heard my phone start to play the all too familiar ringtone. I glanced over at the screen and saw it was Uncle Charlie. I sighed looking at the red decline button that was looking rather good today. I knew if I didn't answer Uncle Charlie would most likely think something is wrong and come kicking down doors. I hit the green phone button and swiped right answering the call.

"Hey," I greeted hearing the keys on a keyboard get pressed down harshly. Uncle Charlie was probably at his desk doing paperwork.

"How's everything going?" My dear uncle asked. I bent over to tie my shoes.

"Oh, you know the usual," I told him. "Nothing beats laying in bed with absolutely nothing to do besides think about how you could get some attention from a zombie."

I heard him sigh on the other end of the line. The annoying tapping finally came to a stop. "Bella is just going through a tough time."

"She got dumped by a weird guy with good hair." I said with annoyance in my tone. I leaned up to straighten my back. "Big deal. She didn't lose her parents to a drunk driver. A breakup is something you can get over, but a death isn't."

"Naya," Uncle Charlie says softly. "Anything that you've ever known can be hard to walk away from. What Bella is going through, it'll blow over."

I let out a deep sigh closing my eyes as I did so. I hope he was right. But something just told me that it was going to be the other way around. And I hoped it wasn't that.

"I hope you aren't wrong." I told him.

"Do you need me to bring you lunch?" Uncle Charlie asked and I froze. Lunch did sound amazing but so did getting freedom.

"Nah. I'm not really hungry." Lie.

"You sure?" Uncle Charlie asked. "I don't mind bringing you anything."

"Totally sure." I said standing and heading to the staircase. "Listen I'm going to get some rest I'll talk to you in a while."

"Alright." Uncle Charlie sighed. "Call me if you need anything."

"I will. Bye." I say and hit the end call button. I went down the staircase and quietly went down the hall. I passed Bella's room and looked inside. She was sitting at the window in dead silence. I blinked before shrugging.

Hopefully the neighbors don't see her like that and complain the Charlie about her creepy staring. I went on my way down the stairs. I walked to the back door and opened it as quickly and quietly as I could. I stepped outside and shut the door silently behind me.

I let out a deep exhale of relief. I started making my way towards the woods. The same woods Bella ran off into. It has been years since I went into the woods. Hopefully I won't be the next Bella and get lost in the woods. Leaves and twigs crunched under my feet as I headed deeper into the woods. The smell of trees and plants hit my nose. Birds sung, squirrels ran from tree to tree, and crickets' chirps.

I observed my surrounds and take in the scenery. I inhaled and exhaled deeply realizing I was alone. Alone in the woods with annoying little insects and animals from prey to predator. I scratched my cheek in thought. What was my purpose for doing this again? Oh right, prison. I rolled my eyes. The shit I have to do for the Devils palace.

I continued walking through the mud, dead leaves, and sticks. I came out in a clearing with flowers and a small stream going through it. It really didn't give me inspiration, but it did give me a sense of peace in my lonely journey here. I pulled out my phone and walked down the grass a bit until I found a perfect position to take a photo. I turned on my screen and went to the camera. I crotched down and held the phone up. I snapped a picture before standing. I looked down at my phone and hit the picture. I turned and smiled at the great picture I took without having a blur in it. I felt so proud of myself for taking such a great picture. 

The sound of a twig snapping brought me back out of my thoughts. My whole body whipped around; my eyes searched across the meadow for anything dangerous. Nothing was there but trees and plants. No animal was in sight. I frowned in confusion. My guard was up, and my fight or flight response was on. Something behind a tree shifted and I felt like someone dumped cold water on me. My heart pounded with fear. Yellow eyes stared back at me. It was at least six feet tall and all black.

I blinked at it as it showed its teeth. "No thanks. I choose life." I said turning around and running away from the horse sized wolf. I was not about to be lunch and have my bones be chew toys and toothpicks.

I heard heavy footsteps behind me. My heart pounded in my chest as my adrenaline rushed throughout my entire body. Why was it chasing me? I wasn't a cat or rabbit! Or a fucking squirrel!

I jumped over a fallen tree which I don't remember seeing before. "LEAVE ME ALONE! YOU GONNA GET ME LOST AND IN TROUBLE!"

Like it will care. I was its lunch and if I die, not only will Uncle Charlie bring me back to life just to kill me himself; Natalie will to.