Chapter 14

"No rules were broken

"No rules were broken."

________________🥀________________

Third person

DONG

Edward steps out of the clock tower unbuttoning his shirt. He looks miserable and keeps his eyes on the ground.

On the side of the fountain Bella jumps into the water and runs across looking scared and determined. The clock continues to sound a dong. Edward takes off his shirt showing his v line. Bella jumps out of the water fountain and continues to run full speed towards Edward. A little girl notices Edward from the crowd of red capes.

Edward looks down to where the sun and shadows meet. He steps into the sunlight and starts to sparkle with his eyes closed. The little girl starts smiling at the sparkling man and yanking on her mother's cape to get her attention. Bella collides into Edward.

"Don't!" She breathes out. Edward smiles thinking he was in heaven with Bella once again in his arms.

"Heaven." He says softly with his eyes still closed. He breathed in her scent feeling calm.

"You have to move." Bella tells him but he doesn't move. "You have to open your eyes and move."

Edward opens his eyes and realizes that she was real and that she was alive. He backs them into the building and looks down amazed. "You're alive."

"I had to at least make you see me once." Bella spoke as Edward looks down at her. "You had to know that I was alive, you didn't have to feel guilty. I can let you go now."

Edward stares down at her with mixed emotions. "You don't ever have to let go. I just couldn't live in a world where you didn't exist."

"But you said-"

"I lied. I had to lie. You believe me so easily." Edward told her. Some more words were spoken before they started kissing.

The sound of a door opening caught Edward's attention. He broke the kiss and looked down the hall where two men walked, they're way. There was a very tall, very muscular man and a shorter guy beside him. As they walked towards them, the shorter man, took a deep breath. He caught Bella's scent but also two others. Two scents that he almost didn't catch. One scent was strawberries and chocolate. The other was books and marshmallows. The second scent burned in his brain as he located the owner of the scent in the United States. His eyes darkened as the scent made him almost go chasing after it. The scent smelt like home to him. It gave him the peace and calmness he could never find within the town of Volterra.

"I won't be needing your services after all gentlemen." Edward tells them as he stares at the shorter guard with narrowed eyes as he caught onto his thoughts.

"Aro wants to speak with you again." The tall man says.

"No rules were broken." Edward speaks looking between the two men.

"Nevertheless, we should take this conversation to a more appropriate place." The shorter guy suggested giving Edward a cocky smile. His eyes were still black and his need to follow the scent got stronger. He kept his composer and pushed his instincts away. 

For now.

"Fine." Edward breathes out trying to control his panic. "Bella, why don't you go enjoy the rest of the festival."

"The girl comes with us."

"No." Edward tells the man. "You can go to hell."

Just then the lock on the door breaks from behind Edward and Bella. Alice walks in. "Come on guys, it's a festival. We wouldn't want to make a scene."

"We wouldn't." The tall guy tells unamused. A girl appears from behind the two guys. She walks down the hallways towards the group with power in each step.

"Enough." The girl orders taking off her hood.

"Jane." Edward greets in a low tone as he lowered his head.

"Aro sent me to see what was taking so long." Jane states stopping between the two men. She looks at everyone before turning around and walking back the way she came. Edward stares at Jane unhappy as he knew that they would have no choice but to follow her. As Edward pulls Bella along, she couldn't help but look at Alice.

"Just do as she says." Alice says as she follows her brother and Bella.

As Alice past the shorter man, the scent got stronger. Something registers into his brain that almost made his instincts take over completely.

The scent was the scent of his mate.