Chapter 42, FLYNN AND BRIAR

(( Swipe to play the song above while you read <3 ))

___________________________________

I finally said it.

I told her I love her.

And I continue to say it as she sleeps soundly beside me, laying on her stomach.

She didn't run.

She didn't panic.

She didn't get angry.

She just... smiled. She was happy.

I love you.

Briar moaned softly as she slept and gripped onto the sheets.

I rolled to my side and ran my fingers through her hair, hoping to soothe whatever nightmare was wracking her brain.

Suddenly, she jolted up, turning to find my face and practically falling out of the bed, holding the sheets to cover her still-naked body.

Her breathing was tight as she scuttled backwards, staring at my face but not seeing me.

I quickly stand on the opposite side of the bed, not wanting to scare her more by getting closer.

Her back hit the wall behind her and she used one hand to feel it out, the other still holding the blanket as she searched my face and the room with a panicked expression.

"Briar." I say her name softly but firmly, just enough so she can hear my voice. I reach my hand out as I begin walking closer.

"Please don't." She puts her hand out in motion for me to stop.

I obey.

I squint my eyes, trying to find her own, her hair slightly covers her face but I see wetness on her cheeks from the moonlight, knowing they're tears of fear.

My heart aches at the sight of it.

"It's Flynn, my love. You're okay." I say, keeping my hand outstretched but not taking another step.

Briar takes a shuddering breath as she brushes her hair out of her face. She squints her eyes and studies my face, another tear leaking down her cheek. Her breath hitches as a sob erupts from her throat, she feels the wall behind her and begins hitting it as she falls to the ground.

As if she could break the wall and get out, as if she could escape whatever nightmare she was seeing.

It's never been this bad before.

For once, I didn't know what to do.

I didn't know how to help.

BRIAR
___________________________________

I bang my hands against the wall, scratching, punching, hitting, anything. I need to get out.

I need to get out before he gets to me.

Kai— Grey, whoever it is— gets on his knees and mutters something. Something about Flynn.

No, no.

"Please. Please he didn't do anything. Where is he?" My voice is shaking so violently I don't even know if he understood me.

"He's not here. I am. It's okay."

"No! Please. Please." I beg. I don't know what else to do.

I thought they were dead.