Chapter 46, BRIAR

( *que the song at the break (<><>) if you feel like it and enjoy the chapter <3* )

___________________________________

One day.

It's been one day since Flynn and I separated.

When night fell, I found a small alcove in a rock wall and it made do for the night. Even though I didn't sleep.

Those people didn't come looking again which I suppose was a small mercy, but even in the daylight I know never to be too careful.

I watched every step I made, held my rifle like I was ready to shoot at all times, and most importantly, I kept my eyes out for Flynn.

One day.

It's been one goddamn day and I can barely stand being apart from Flynn for more than a minute.

I risk calling out his name more than I probably should, I risk setting aside my rifle to climb a rock or a tree to see if I can spot him more than I probably should, I risk being too focused on finding Flynn than protecting myself more than I probably should; and yet I can't help but do all of those things, just so I stand a chance at finding him.

I release a shaky breath and let my arms relax for a moment as I look around the oasis before me.

A few birds roam the sky, some swooping down to the ground to peck on whatever animal lay there.

I haven't eaten since Flynn and I left and I feel the effects of an empty stomach making it's way to my head. I decide to see if I can make a clear shot on one of the birds and make that my own food.

Even with tiredness weighing me down, I jog closer to where the birds are flying low and once I get to a good spot, I pull out my rifle and look through the scope.

First I look to the birds in the sky, maybe seeing if I can get a clear shot of one there instead, but lower my sights to the ground.

The birds cluster around the creature there, not seeming to peck at it but more like... inspect it.

I groan, not being able to see it, and adjust my scope to zoom in closer.

The birds hop around and I take a step closer when I see a boot.

And discarded to the side as if it was dropped, a bag. And a rifle. And a pistol. My pistol. Flynn's rifle. Flynn's bag.

"FLYNN!" My scream is almost a screech as I see the body on the ground ahead of me.

I was so tired after walking miles to find Flynn, and yet as soon as I saw his nearly lifeless body, an arrow protruding from his side, the heaviness of my head went away.

I charged for him, running like I was running for my life.

I was running for my life.

Flynn is my life.

And he's about to lose his if I don't get there.

I slide on my knees beside him, my heart racing and my eyes stinging at the unconscious sight of him.

"Flynn! Flynn, Flynn, Flynn." I repeat, grabbing both sides of his face and tapping his cheek. I shake his head slightly and tap his cheek harder. I slide my hands down his chest, examining the damage that was done.

His shirt was torn and tied around the arrow. He did this, he was awake not long ago.

With unsteady hands, I untie his bloody shirt and nearly gag at the sight of how much blood came leaking out.