Chapter 2, BRIAR

I woke up the next morning before sunrise even started, drool dripping from the corner of my mouth, not even remembering falling asleep where I did. I only remember being ready to fight when I was quickly reassured and told to get some rest, relieved of watch and passing my gun to the next watchman.

I sat up with tired eyes and brown strands of hair falling into my face. I look around to see everyone moving about slowly, some packing, some eating, some changing or just now getting up.

My shoes are still on my feet so I don't have to worry about doing them, but I smell. We all smell. We haven't been able to wash in a long time because of the little resources we have and no rain coming around.

I quickly stand, walking over to Freya and Neo who are already arguing.

I start braiding my hair into two, starting from the front of my scalp working back. "Do you two ever shut up? The sun hasn't even risen and you're already being annoying." I tell them as I kick each of their boots.

"First off, ow." Freya starts. "Second off, no, because he keeps asking for my rations because all he does is eat."

"It's not just food I eat." Neo winks.

"You do know I'm gay, right?" Freya raises her brows at him, gesturing to her short blonde hair and the half shaven side of her head.

Neo gasps dramatically, "No, really?" Freya rolls her eyes. "You also know that you're practically my sister and I wasn't meaning you, right?" He says as his eyes trail up and down another girls body who's purposely swaying her hips in front of him.

This time Freya joins in kicking him.

"Just shut up and pack. Both of you." I tell them, stalking over to my bag.

I pick up my bag to try and find a shirt that doesn't smell. These are the only pants I have so there's no use looking for a pair, they're the only ones I like anyway.

"What do we have here, Clay?" Kai leans down to pick something up with his annoying little entourage behind him. When he stands back up I see what he's holding. My necklace. It must've fallen out when I picked up my bag.

"Hand it over." I tell him, only sternness in my voice, anger already wracking over me just because he's touching it.

"And why should I? You kicked me in the face and then held a knife to my throat."

"Only after you tried to get me to fuck you. Which by the way, no one is interested in."

"I already did. And... I think the girl I had in my bed last night would disagree." He smirks.

I feel my face heat up. I have to clench my fists so I don't punch him in front of everyone. I feel my fingernails digging into my hand when a drop of blood slides down my knuckle onto the floor.

Calm, Briar. Stay calm.

I slowly unclench my fists revealing small, bloody crescent moons on my palm.

"Give me the necklace back, Kai. Unless you'd rather go back to where we were last night, then I'd happily oblige."

I see his expression falter for a minute before answering.

"Fine. Go get it." He throws it into the newly lit fire pit.

"No!" I shout, reaching my hand into the fire and pulling out the necklace.

It burnt my hand so I drop it quickly and pour water from my pack onto it and then my hand. I shake myself out when I look back to Kai.

He's gone stiff, looking at me in horror. Fear. I can't even stop myself before I lunge for him, tackling him to the hard ground.

I swing my fist into his face, punch after punch. Again. Again. Again.

I hear shouting behind me but I don't care.

Again.

Again.

Again.

Multiple hands grab my shoulders, my arms, my waist, pulling me back as I fight to get out of their grasp and back to hitting Kai.

I finally get lifted off the floor by one man. I scream and kick and flail.

"Let go! Put me down ass!" I shout, elbowing into his arms but he doesn't let go. I keep fighting even when I see faces I don't recognize. Even then I don't care. All that matters is hurting Kai.

But this man... he just keeps walking backwards, pulling me away.

I look around as I continue to fight this man's grip, Freya's shouting, flailing, trying to get to me but Neo is holding her firm. He looks nervous, afraid, as he eyes the new men and women around the camp.

Freya's shouting one thing, Neo calmly saying another, trying to get her to stop fighting.

I slam my elbows down in front of me, hitting the man's forearms as he keeps carrying me away from everyone.

"Fuck off!" I shout as his hold on my waist tightens. I try reaching behind me, try hitting his head but my hands don't find it. So I keep scratching and punching and hitting, fighting his grip.

It doesn't loosen in the slightest.

________________

I had no idea how to tell y'all that Freya was gay so I just made the hairstyle up as I went

These are pre-typed chapters, I've written half of them and I'm writing the other half as I go, but I'm planning to post a chapter a day and if I forget then possibly every other day

I know it's staring off kinda weird but I promise you it gets better, I hope y'all stick with it cause I'm proud of this

Love y'all and thanks for reading <3