The One With The Welcome Distraction

David hit send on the message to Jen within thirty seconds of leaving Zoe's apartment. It simply said 'Can't talk now. Was what we thought. Think it'll be ok. Chat later. Love you xx'

Jen's heart almost leapt out of her chest as her phone chimed with a message that was finally the one she'd been waiting for. Her mind was racing as she read it. Well, she thought to herself, that doesn't tell me anything really except I'm now more convinced than ever that it probably won't be ok. She looked at the time. 18:39 which meant it was 21:39 for him now and he probably wouldn't be able to call her for at least another hour yet, probably more like two. How the hell was she going to fill that time without going stir crazy? The gym. That's what she was going to do, hit the gym and work out some of her anxious tension and impatient frustration because she couldn't bear to spend another two hours pacing the floor like she already had since his first message had landed.

"Dad, what were you and mom arguing about?" Cleo asked the moment they set foot in the front door of David's imposing, red brick home.

"We weren't arguing, we were just having a discussion about something really."

"She used the F word on you two times in ten seconds dad, you were arguing."

"Well, if you heard that much then you probably know exactly what we were arguing about then."

"No honestly, I just heard her start to swear and then I put my AirPods in because I didn't want to hear it. Anyway, I thought you said you weren't arguing."

David shook his head and smiled at his daughter. She really was growing up. "We were sort of arguing, sort of discussing" he compromised as they headed up the stairs and landed in the huge, open plan, loft style living / dining / kitchen area, Cleo instantly grabbing herself a soda from the fridge and throwing herself down on the dark leather armchair, hanging her feet over the side of the arm as she sprawled, waiting for David to continue their conversation.

"You guys don't really argue anymore so it must be something big" she prompted as David busied himself taking a few bits out of his overnight bag, then heading to the kitchen to grab himself something a glass of something. "Was it because you went to LA to watch the show instead of being here to watch it with me? Because if it was, I'm totally fine with it. I wanted to watch it with my friends, no offence..."

"It's something to do with that" he said carefully. He had been mulling things over in his mind since the moment Zoe had said he should come clean to Cleo now, trying to put together the best words and the best way of telling her. He had no fears at all that his daughter would be happy at the news, he'd just thought he would have more time than this to prepare what he wanted to say, and he'd really hoped to have time to discuss it with Jen first too and make sure she was completely on board with this. But it seemed like that wasn't going to be possible now so he'd just have to wing it and hope for the best.

David set himself down on the sofa opposite where Cleo was 'chillaxing' as she liked to call it. "So, the reason your mom was not very happy with me was because, as she very rightly said, I hadn't pre-warned her about some of the stuff that was going to come up in the reunion show."

"The stuff about you and Jen crushing on each other?"

"Mmmm hmmm, the stuff about me and Jen yes."

"Is she jealous?"

David gave an anxious giggle. "No, I don't think so. But she was unhappy that I didn't warn her about it beforehand which I totally understand."

"I never thought to tell her either dad, sorry. I mean I was there when you talked about it."

"Sweetheart it was totally not your responsibility to tell her, it was mine. I messed up and she had every right to be mad at me." He took a swig of the water he'd poured himself. "But listen, I do have something I want to talk to you about though that's related to this."