The One With Happy Birthday Jen

It was late on Wednesday afternoon and David was feeling pretty happy. He'd just spent the best part of three hours catching up with some dear friends who he'd not seen in far too long. They'd had a few too many beers, eaten some really great food, shared a lot of stories, and then they'd parted, promising each other that they wouldn't leave it so long to meet up next time, especially now it seemed David was going to be spending more of his time on the west coast again.

"I can't tell you how grateful I am to you for agreeing to do this" David said to the petite, blonde streaked, long haired woman he was now stood with. "I hope she likes it as much as I think she will."

"I'm pretty sure she's going to cry you an ocean" the girl replied with a grin, taking his card and processing the substantial payment. "Would you like me to gift wrap it or would you prefer to do it yourself?"

"Oh no, definitely you do it please. It'll look much better than my attempt" he replied with a grin, "oh, but could you put this in too" he added, pulling a small, sealed envelope from his wallet and handing it over.

He left the shop less than ten minutes later and discreetly hopped into the black Range Rover where TJ was waiting patiently for him. By the time they pulled in through the gates some forty five minutes later, Jen's silver Porsche was already parked up and empty. "Hey sweetie, I'll be through in a minute, I just need to visit the bathroom" he called as he kicked off his shoes and sneaked down the corridor to hide the gift bag in his closet. "Oh wow, you look even more gorgeous than usual" he exclaimed a couple of minutes later as he wandered into the kitchen where she was busy preparing the food for the dogs.

"Thanks" she replied with a warm smile, "Chris is an absolute magician. How was your lunch?"

"It was really good but I probably had too much beer, sorry" he grinned as she put down the bowls for the always hungry Clyde and Chesterfield, wiped her hands and walked over to him.

"Mmmm you do smell of beer" she laughed as she wrapped her arms around his neck, "beer and garlic... but I still love you."

"Good, because I really, really love you" he replied, enjoying a quick kiss before announcing he needed to pee.

"Again?"

"I blame the beer" he laughed as he exited the room once more, Jen shaking her head and laughing with him.

The beer and the time difference had finally taken its toll and he'd been fast asleep by 9.30pm that night, Jen pottering around for a couple more hours before climbing into bed beside him and easily falling into a sound sleep herself. The next morning they'd taken the two dogs for a long run in the garden before hitting the gym for a while. They'd eaten a light lunch then spent much of the afternoon tidying around the house and getting things ready for the birthday gathering, both secretly still a little overawed that they were getting to tackle such mundane, everyday tasks together.

By the time they sat down after dinner, the house was immaculate and everything was organised. "Can you remember the night before my birthday last year?" she asked as they cosied up on the couch, looking out through the wall of glass to where the terrace lights were twinkling in the dark.

"I'm not sure I can. Why?" David replied, trying to cast his mind back to how things had been before the reunion.

"I'd had a really long, hard day of filming and when I got home all I wanted to do was soak in the bath but I'd promised I'd video call you..."

"Oh God, I remember that night" he interjected, "I remember that night very well, I'd just forgotten it was right before your birthday" he added with a wide grin.

"I did do it on purpose in case you're wondering" she giggled, remembering how she'd lay in the tub for over an hour chatting to him, the bubbles maintaining her modesty until she'd decided the water was too cold and she needed to get out... something she did without warning him to avert his eyes, therefore giving him an unexpected and very welcome treat indeed.