The One With The Danger Zone

Jen looked around the table and couldn't stop the huge grin that spread across her whole face. "What?" Court said, noticing her friend's eyes lighting up while she watched them all chatting. They were sat around a rectangular table in the corner of the rooftop terrace of large hotel restaurant, looking out across the neon lit LA night-time sky.

"Just this" Jen replied, "you have no idea how long I have wanted to do exactly this, dinner with all of you, not having to hide anything, not having to pretend David and I are just friends... it's just... it makes me very happy." David, who was deep in conversation with Lisa, turned at the mention of his name and flashed her a wide smile, his hand finding her knee beneath the table and giving it a gentle squeeze as he turned his attention back to what he had been saying.

Little over an hour later they were all stood at the back exit waiting for their rides. As frequently happened there were a bunch of paparazzis stood waiting to see who they could snap photos of. "Ummm honey, if you don't want your picture taken I suggest you keep your head down and your back to them" Jen whispered as they crowded together.

"Don't worry, I'm pretty good at being missed" he grinned, "and if they do see me, it's no big deal since we're with the others. Anyway, hopefully they'll just think I'm your bodyguard since it's pretty dark." Less than two minutes later TJ pulled up in the car. As Jen made her way to the door, which was kindly opened by the hotel security staff she had come to know and respect, David slipped unnoticed round the other side and was in his seat long before she was. "See" he said as they pulled away, "I'm pretty sure no one even gave me a second glance. They were all too busy drooling over you girls."

"They don't drool" she retorted.

"Well, I drool" he grinned in reply. "I'm just happy I get to go home with you now rather than drooling from afar."

"You say the nicest things" she laughed, linking their fingers together. "And I know there's no good reason to hide away from being seen together either, I'm just enjoying keeping this all to ourselves if I'm honest. It's refreshing and kind of freeing."

"Good, I'm glad you think that because I feel the same way. I'm not sure I'll ever be ready to share this publicly when it's working so perfectly as it is."

"You do realise we are going to get spotted sometime though, right? I mean, we've got lucky so far but at some point, that luck is bound to run out."

"I know, I guess we just deal with that when it happens. I doubt anybody would be that interested anyway" he said, rubbing his thumb across the back of her hand.

"You said that about the 'crush' and look what happened" Jen laughed, "I don't think we'd get away with it that easily."

"Maybe, maybe not, but I'm not about to get worried about it. If we get seen, we get seen. It's not like we're doing anything wrong is it? Our rules this time remember, nobody else's."

Jen looked him squarely in the eye as she nodded in agreement, "our rules, nobody else's."

Less than 12 hours later they were back in the car and on their way up the coast to visit another of Jen's favourite vineyards, something they were both looking forward to enormously after their last successful trip.

"I think you're going to like this one even more" she said as they approached the entrance. "Their reds are apparently some of the best in the world, your friend Josh told me that."

"Oh well, if Josh recommends them then I know I'm in for a real treat" he replied, taking her hand and kissing the back of it. "Can we eat fairly soon though, I'm starving." He grinned at her as he added, "I blame you for that by the way."

"Hey mister, I am not taking the blame this time, I was getting out of bed to make your breakfast when you dragged me back in. Not that I'm in any way complaining mind, but it was definitely your own fault."