Mascot Melee: Part 1

Aria's POV:

Tomorrow is Dad's birthday. So, after weeks of saving up our money and me taking extra shifts at Run of the Mill Pizza, we finally have enough to get Dad a new robe. His old one's seen better days, and it's not a pretty sight when he does jumping jacks.

Raph: "What's the word? Am I clear?"

Leo, Mikey, Donnie, and I are in the Turtle Tank, listening to whatever Raph says through the mic installed into his hippo suit. We can also see whatever he sees through the new camera Donnie installed in the head of the suit. I look through the periscope, Leo standing at my left.

Me: "Looks bueno from here."

Leo: "You are a go for 'Operation: Let's Hope Raph Comes Back Alive'."

I nudge his shoulder as Raph voices his discontent at the name.

Raph: "Will you stop calling it that?"

Donnie bears an excited smile with his fists pumped in the air.

Donnie: "A first ever exploratory expedition in daylight! They are gonna name sewers after you, pal."

I laugh as I place a hand on his left shoulder.

Me: "I don't know about that, but props for enthusiasm."

Donnie sends me a soft smile before we return our focus to the task at hand with determined looks.

Raph: "I fit right in with all the mascots. This hippo suit works great in Times Square."

Mikey rests his arms above his head.

Mikey: "Totally, but for the record, I still think my trench coat idea would've worked."

I roll my eyes with a playful smile.

Me: "Mikey, we went over this during CCC. No matter how many seams I let out in the coat, he still tore through it within 5 seconds. The hippo suit was the best 'Plan B' I could think of."

Leo: "And it's workin' like a charm, Ari. There's the store."

Mikey dons a pleading look, his hands clasped together pleadingly.

Mikey: "Go get Splinter's birthday gift! Our eyes depend on it."

I shudder as I remember the last time Dad wore his old robe in front of us, so we have to do this mission during the day and celebrate his birthday tonight.

Leo: "Steady as she goes. Old man on your right. Kid on your left. He's got peanut butter ice cream."

Donnie: "Oh no, your allergies! Evasive maneuver! Evasive maneuver!"

Raph follows the twins' directions, although the thing with the kid might've been overkill.

Raph: "Close one. Oh, man, this is crazy cool. First turtle to ever skate through a crowd unnoticed, and his name is Raph!"

The tank's computer beeps with a message from April.

Donnie: "Video text from April."

Mikey taps the screen with his foot to reveal that she made a meme based on Raph's costume for today.

We all smile sweetly at the gesture.

Mikey: "April's memes are so lit."

Donnie: "You know, I bet you think I wouldn't like cookies coming out of butts, but it turns out I do."

I glance at Leo, then the meme, then at Mikey.

Me: "Mikey, could you man the periscope for a sec? Leo & I need to have a little chat."

Mikey nods as I pull Leo over to the opposite side of the tank.

Me: "This may be bad timing and stop me if I'm out of line, but are you ever going to ask April out?"

Leo's eyes widen as he glances at the floor.

Leo: "Uh, someday?"

Me: "Didn't you once tell me that the more nervous you are, the more right it is for you to do something about it?"

Leo sighs with a nod, so I soften my look to resemble a soft smile.

Me: "Ok, I'll make you a deal. If you tell April the truth the next time you see her, I'll get you that unicorn onesie you've always wanted. I'll even throw in some new wheels for your skateboard."

Leo dons a smirk as he tries to negotiate with me.

Leo: "And rocket boosters?"

I glance at Donnie, then back to Leo.

Me: "I'll talk to Donnie and see what I can do, but I can't promise anything."

Leo gives me a tight hug.

Leo: "Best sister ever!"

He then leaps to take Mikey's place at the periscope, his confidence quickly returning.

Leo: "You got this, bud. Now, go get that robe. Our night terrors end today!"

Raph: "Yes. What? No, no, no. My wallet? My wallet! Uh, excuse me. Have you seen my wallet? There's a skull on it, and a 'Teddy Bear Town' Free Buyer Card inside."

Leo and Donnie raise an eyebrow in confusion.

Donnie: "Did he just say he lost his wallet?"

Raph: "No.-*whispers*-Have you seen my lost money?"

Yep, he lost it. Mikey, Donnie, and Leo all voice their disbelief at the same time while I watch the camera to see what's going on on Raph's end. Raph's annoyance at their behavior causes him to bump into a nearby stranger. As he falls onto his back, the hippo head falls off his own. Well, so much for that plan.

TO BE CONTINUED