Chapter 48: ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ʜᴇ ʟɪꜱᴛᴇɴꜱ ᴛᴏ ʙᴏᴍʙ ᴘᴜɴꜱ

♥Chapter 48: ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ʜᴇ ʟɪꜱᴛᴇɴꜱ ᴛᴏ ʙᴏᴍʙ ᴘᴜɴꜱ♥

Chapter 48: ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ʜᴇ ʟɪꜱᴛᴇɴꜱ ᴛᴏ ʙᴏᴍʙ ᴘᴜɴꜱ♥

Jake

I turn to look back at the guest in the office.

"You live in California," I state.

He nods, sitting back down on the leather chair he was sitting in and gestures for me to sit in the one across him.

"You've been Kennedy's doctor for a year." Also Kennedy's only friend in that period of time.

He nods again, a lilt of softness to his eyes for a second.

"Did you-" A gulp goes down my throat, "Did you know...Kennedy had cancer?"

"Not until I arrived here." His expressions closed up, "Dr. Ben had informed me that Kennedy had gotten into an accident at the mall. That's when I booked a flight and came here."

I nod, slumping back into the leather chair, my hands gripping the armrests.

A moment of silence passes between us.

"When Kennedy first came into my hospital." Dr. Gabriel starts, a furrow between his eyebrows, "She had very little chances of survival."

My eyebrows raise.

"The car accident killed her parents, and everyone thought she was going to die too." He continues. "She was this little thing, fighting for breath, sometimes not breathing at all. Her heart would stop beating for minutes before it started again." Gabriel unknowingly traces a pattern on the armrest of the couch, his expressions saying that he's watching a distant memory in his head.

"I remember so many times thinking that this was it, she's not going to make it, she's not gonna wake up." He shakes his head. "But then she would give the tiniest breath, a single heartbeat, anything. She fascinated everyone around her. The other doctors wanted to save her because of how she didn't give up, because of how she kept fighting for her life."

Gabriel looks up at me, "She's a fighter. She's stronger than you think."

My chest swells up.

"Every day, I would sit by her bed imagining the moment her eyes would open, imagining of how she would react, of how she would take things. At the brink of death, she showed so much strength, I wondered how much more strength she would show when she wakes up."

"And she did?" I ask.

"The day she woke up was the day I wished she had been unconscious for a little longer to give me time to quit my job."

I raise my eyebrows, "What'd she do?"

He shakes his head, sighing, "Trust me, kid, don't ask."

"That bad?" I raise an eyebrow.