Chapter 54: ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ʜᴇ ᴋɴᴏᴡꜱ ʜᴇ'ꜱ ᴏᴠᴇʀᴅᴏɪɴɢ

♥Chapter 50: ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ʜᴇ ᴋɴᴏᴡꜱ ʜᴇ'ꜱ ᴏᴠᴇʀᴅᴏɪɴɢ♥

Chapter 50: ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ʜᴇ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ʜᴇ' ᴏᴠᴇʀᴅᴏɪɴɢ♥

Jake

I didn't mean to storm off.

I really didn't mean to.

Fuck.

Kennedy wanting to talk about mom gave me a jolt of fear and panic that made me lose my wits for a second. It was like her questions slapped me to all those years back when I found mom cold and gone on the bathroom floor.

The memories that kept haunting me the whole night until I decided to just lock them up deep inside my head.

Her question cracked the lock I had on those memories, letting it flow all over me, drenching me in sudden fear and grief.

Before I knew it, my legs were moving, trying to get out of there before it broke me.

My third glass of water gushes down my throat in an attempt to calm and collect myself.

Images of mom still flood my head but this time I can see Kennedy along with her.

A sharp pain goes through my chest.

I'm going to lose Ken.

I'm going to lose her just like I lost mom.

My lungs deplete of air, and I had to take gulps of breaths through my mouth to fill my lungs.

Why do these things happen?

Why do any of them had to die and has to die?

With an almost crushing feeling, my brain tries to tell me that it's my fault. My fault for being so careless, my fault for not noticing it before it was too late. I could have done something. Too late to say that for mom, but maybe for Kennedy.

I could have taken her to the doctor for checkups when her asthma got serious sometimes, when she was falling sick easily during the winters, when her weight noticeably dropped down.

I run my hand through my face, touching my closed eyelids with my cold fingers.

Fuck. I need to go back to Kennedy and apologize for storming out like that.

My legs move in the direction of Alex's previous room, opening the door with hesitant hands.

My gaze falls on Kennedy, lying on the bed in the darkness.

Is she asleep?

I move forward and stand beside her, peering down at her. Her eyes remain shut, her breathing steady and gentle, answering my previous question.

Quietly, I move in beside her and lie down.

For the first time, I fall asleep without touching her.

✯✯✯