Chapter 57: ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ʜᴇ ᴅᴏᴇꜱɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴀꜱᴛᴇ ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ꜱᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ

♥Chapter 57: ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ʜᴇ ᴅᴏᴇꜱɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴀꜱᴛᴇ ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ꜱᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ♥

Chapter 57: ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ʜᴇ ᴅᴏᴇꜱɴ' ᴡᴀꜱᴛᴇ ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ꜱᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ♥

Kennedy

Ice cream is therapy.

Period.

Ice cream is also a way of pretending that you're so busy licking and biting it that you don't have to open your mouth to strike up a conversation.

Because that's what I'm doing right now.

Corey decided since we were all so "glum and depressed" we needed to go out for ice cream to cool off.

Instead, it feels like he captured all of us and trapped us in a bubble of awkward silence.

I avoid everyone's glance or stare. Pretty sure they knew what went down between Jake and me.

Corey sits beside me with Jake and Toothy across. It's five in the evening and the ice cream parlour is bustling with people everywhere.

Corey keeps nudging my foot with his, indicating me to say something. I nudge him back to say, 'you say something'.

Toothy doesn't talk too and is looking from Corey to Jake to me.

Jake bites his bottom lip, barely taking a bite of his melting ice cream. He's gazing at me, but I refuse to meet his gaze. There's an expression on his face that says he's deep in thought.

Even though there's chatter and noises all around us, it feels like we're sitting in the quietest room.

I think I should say that I'm not feeling well and want to go home and just end this silence—

"I've been an idiot," Jake speaks up.

Toothy, Corey and I pause whatever we were doing. My eyes snap to Jake's and he's staring at me with the greens and blues of his eyes.

"Should I record this?" Corey whispers to Toothy.

She cuts him with a look.

"I've been living in my head the whole time and I've been a fucking mess when instead I should have been strong for you." Jake goes on. "I made you feel like you were in a tight place where you couldn't express yourself and I'm so fucking sorry for that, Ken."

Jake opening up in front of everyone gives me a moment of disbelief and leaves me in shock.

"I wanted to be strong for you too," I reply after a while.

"You are. You're so fucking strong." He tightens his grip on his ice cream spoon.

"I want to make things right." He declares. "I messed up. I scared you, I talked about your death when I didn't even know if you were ready to talk about it. I've been unsupportive."