The Waiting Game

November 25, 2010

The paparazzi were waiting for them.

Jaclyn was about to rush out a quick apology to her friends, but Natania had already hopped out of the car, and was paving a path for the rest of them. Leo was hot on her heels, quietly scolding her as he blinked in the bulb flashes of the cameras pressed to his car.

Jaclyn jumped out following them, keeping her knees pressed together, and praying none of the guys tried to push their cameras up her skirt. The loose flare of the white dress was not a great idea in hindsight. She pulled Thomas behind her, giggling lightly despite the situation as he let out a quiet oof from being dragged.

The four of them hunkered together it was easy enough to push through the parking lot into the quaint pub. They were all used to it, and there really weren't that many. The pub itself was one of William's favorite places to eat, Natania swore by the music, and unlike most places at this hour this one was pretty tame so Jaclyn liked it.

Inside they all took a seat, bending over to exhale like they all were holding their breath.

Still massaging his thrumming heart, Thomas sat up a mischievous glint to his eyes. "Sooo, has he asked you yet?"

"Do you see a ring on this finger?" Jaclyn drawled, slumping against her right hand while the other lifted to show off a bare ring finger. It had been a week since her secret revelation to William, but after that night not much else was said about it. Not much else had to be said. She opened the conversation now she just had to wait. The anticipation was tiring, but with everything going on she only focused on the prospect of an upcoming proposal selectively.

William and her were both so busy she didn't even think it would be possible for him to propose before the New Year.

"How's your back?" Jaclyn asks just to take some of the pressure off her, but seeing how Leo deflated she winced realizing she's focused on the wrong person.

Thomas straightens a little bit, still panting from their mad dash in, but slightly more aware. "You won't even consider going to at least get it looked at?"

Natania and Leo shared that special secret look they had, and with a staggering exhale she turned back to them. "I scheduled an appointment already. Even if we decide to not tell anyone else at least we can know what's wrong."

That was at least something. Although, Jaclyn didn't blame Leo for wanting to run from it. Athletes could always imagine the worst possible scenario, but it was nothing more than a diluted nightmare. A real diagnosis from a doctor involved facts and reality. It was a lot easier to choose to retire than to be forced from it.

"William's bringing one of his SAR buddies right?" Thomas asked, pulling the conversation back from the depressing void.

She shrugged, still surprised her lungs were burning. "Last I heard." Rubbing the sore spot in her chest, and trying to mull the dry feeling with water, Jaclyn was about to continue when someone stopped her.

"By the way they're breathing you wouldn't think they're dancers." Jaclyn jumped upright turning to where the mysterious accent came from. Her shoulders sagged, and finally her smile just arrived, no forcing needed as she saw William and a man who she assumed was his partner.

"Hello darling," he sighed, his voice still that comforting baritone that she thought of late at night when she felt the most alone. They had barely been apart a few days, child's play when one thought of the years they spent apart, but she couldn't help but fling herself into his arms. Knowing that they were hidden away within the building.

That was another nice thing about this specific pub. The owner knew them, William being a regular and all, and he along with the few other regular customers prided themselves on giving the couple this space to be themselves.