Doing Good

May 22, 2017

Jaclyn analyzes the designs in her lap, scrutinizing the colorful lines that shape into different mugs. They're straight from Emma Bridgewater's office, and designed by her very hands. They're to support East Anglia's Children Hospices, each one that's sold £5 will be given to the organization.

"I think these new renderings are exactly what we need," Jaclyn says, passing them for Kate to look over. "I think adding the sketch of EACH's logo helps to pull it together."

"Oh, they're lovely."

They're lovely and for a lovely cause, but she's ready to get her teeth into her next big project. With the health suite at RBC doing well, and under Leo's supervision after he completed his bachelor's in kinesiology, Jaclyn hasn't been needed. She still keeps tabs, but she can't ride the waves of one success forever.

But there are so many possibilities, and so many causes that need to be highlighted she's not sure where to start. She wants to help women through pregnancy and labor, and give them a chance to be heard, but she also wants to help children in low income areas and give them opportunities they usually wouldn't have. She wants to highlight life skills programs for disabled kids, and organizations that help them get into the arts or sports or simply survive school.

She's also a mother and a wife and there's only so much time, and a part of her feels like if she can't do everything then she's failing. Letting people down that rely on her.

She's launching a new program in a couple months focusing on the mental health of children in schools, but she needs to find that thing that will make the program special. So, when the magazines lament poetry about what she's wearing and plaster airbrushed photos of her on every cover, inside there will be a tiny bit of information that matters. That people will see and remember.

"You know I want to get into photography more," Kate blurts, and it's the perfect distraction for Jaclyn to cling to. The world is racing by outside the window as they head for Smethwick where there's a center run by Action for Children. The houses have turned to the red brick semi terraced the city is known for, and if it weren't for the window Jaclyn would be looking at a travel brochure.

"Really?" She asks, letting go of a breath that got caught in her throat as she turns away from the homes squashed on the street. "I hope you're not planning on leaving me high and dry."

"I think I'll be your stylist till the day I die for the same reasons I like photography." Jaclyn tilts her head, the heavy dangling earrings smacking and swaying as she tauntingly pries for Kate to continue. The brunette rolls her eyes but smiles all the same. "I like sharing your story through your clothing. I think that's why I like photography too. A picture is an insight to someone's story."

They make the rest of the journey in silence, Jaclyn looking down at her hands expecting them to do something. Then she looks up at Kate, Kate who's so simply radiant with her dreams off her chest that she glows until her skin appears golden. Jaclyn smiles, basking in the light of her friend. "You'll have to take PJ's birthday photos for our Instagram."