An Heir for an Heir

December 30, 2012

Jaclyn Webber, The Duchess of Cambridge has given birth to a baby girl. The unnamed daughter is third in line to the throne. Both mother and child are doing well, Kensington Palace said in a short statement, but they will both remain in hospital overnight for the foreseeable future as the duchess recovers and the baby stays in the NICU.

The daughter of Prince William and Webber weighed 3lbs 1oz, making her the smallest royal baby in the modern age being born approximately ten weeks early. She was delivered at 9.52pm in the maternity wing of St Mary's hospital, London, by natural birth. The Duke of Cambridge was at the bedside.

"We could not be happier," William said in a statement. A Buckingham palace spokesman said the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are "delighted at the news". The prime minister, David Cameron, predicted William and Jackie will "make wonderful parents".

Famous landmarks celebrate as well, the BT Tower says "It's a girl" at the top, and fountains, London Bridge, Belfast Hall, The Golden Jubilee Bridge, and the London eye have all lit up pink.

-----

December 31, 2013

William takes their family down to the NICU, it's past visiting hours and there's one too many, but it's been such a long stressful day the nurse let's them through. Caleb goes first, walking up to the plastic box to look at his niece with piqued interest. She's tired and worn out and soundly sleeping, and he must sense that because ever so slowly he pulls his face back.

"She's small," he remarks, and William can't help but agree. The nurses have pulled a pink beanie onto her head and wrapped her in a diaper that's just nearly too big, and all of it together puts into perspective how small she is.

Michelle and Brad hover close to Caleb peering down at her with wonder and shrouds of lingering fear. Unlike his father they were here for the rush that was the emergency delivery, and he can see it in the drowsiness around them.

His father and Camilla come around on the other side to see, but a space has been left between them. A natural opening where Jaclyn would always go, but tonight their picture is incomplete. Suddenly it feels wrong to be sharing this moment with their family while she's still sick and in pain.

"She's precious Camilla," whispers into the air and everyone nods while Caleb surveys them like they're crazy.

"She looks like an alien," he deadpans. Michelle shushes them, but they all catch Brad secretly nodding his agreement with him.

His father smiles, so unfiltered and natural William tries not to do a double take. Lately he's been so tense, so stressed and worried about Jac and the baby, and then he was the one fighting to keep the press and media satisfied while they sat in the hospital. "I'm sure you looked like alien too, I know William did."

"No I didn't."

Michelle rolls her eyes, gently grabbing Caleb by the shoulders as she leans down to kiss his cheek. "Oh you most definitely did, but I loved you anyways." They all laugh and William tries to fight the guilt crawling inside him that his wife can't be with them.

-----

January 3, 2013

"She's beautiful," Jaclyn hums, setting her eyes on her little girl for the first time in three days. It took that long to fight off whatever infection she had making sure it didn't develop into something worse and life threatening like sepsis. But during those three long days she was quarantined to her room, surviving on the brief and blurring image she had of Amelia and her family's updates as they visited her throughout the days.