Cause to Celebrate

May 20, 2017

In Jaclyn's mind the perfect way to celebrate an anniversary is to be surrounded by friends. She doesn't need the fancy dinners or grand speeches, she just needs William's hand in her's as they sit together at their dinner table and laugh with their friends.

Six years of marriage is nothing to look over, but it's not a monumental number, no one will cheer and say 'look they made it to six' but it's another year all the same. Another year of happiness, of success, of monumental change and small moments no one knows about. Chasing her kids around the gardens and reading with William before passing out.

"I still don't understand how Caroline got the dirt in her hair," Charlie laughs, hiding his crimson face behind his hand while the other braces the table. Kate pats his back, but shakes her head. "I don't think I want to understand." It's been a whole day but the havoc their daughter's released on the KP halls still alludes her.

The kids are all asleep, knocked out from a long day of activities, and after months of saying they'll get together William and Jaclyn have finally managed to sit down with their friends. It's a thing that happens far less, but they all have lives, and families of different kinds to care for.

In Natania and Leo's eyes Jaclyn can see the exhaustion of having a one year old son, and Charlie and Kate seem like reflections of a different stage but equally exhausted. Caroline is a hyperactive toddler who wants to participate in anything she can, and the wrinkles creased into Charlie's shirt are a reminder where she was climbing on him like a jungle gym earlier.

Jaclyn doesn't even want to imagine what William and her look like, especially next to child free Arthur and Thomas who are extra giggly and clingy.

"Remind me to keep David away from the Cambridge kids," Leo laughs, but it's more of a stifled yawn as he reaches for more grilled chicken.

"More like the Howard kids," Natania corrects, shooting Kate and Charlie a sweet smile. The two barely notice, entirely focused on keeping their heads off their plates, but Charlie musters enough energy to hold up a halting hand. "Kid, as in singular. There is only one Howard kid."

"No more on the way?"

"I'd like to learn how to handle the one we have first," Kate quips at Arthur. There's a pause where Jaclyn thinks Kate is contemplating throwing her arugula at him which would only further prove everyone's point.

Jaclyn's staring at her plate, battling it out with William's foot, and as their friends bicker around them he keeps shooting her secretive sly smiles. "Stop that," she giggles quietly, leaning into the space between them.

"Stop what?"

His foot hits hers again.

She's about to jump on him when Thomas clears his throat. The fluff of his brown hair is for once gelled back showing off the high arch of his brow and knowing dark eyes. "And what about their highnesses?"

William clears his throat. "Two is enough for now."

Jaclyn turns to William. It's a slight movement as is the tilt of her head so their conversation stays secret. They both had brought up the topic of another baby over the last month, slowly introducing the idea. Nothing was settled enough for them to make an announcement though, there simply was too much to think about.
Kate takes a sip from her glass of wine, but her smirk is evident under the glass and clear liquid.

They talk about nonsense and news they all have to share, but they've replaced their once over excited meet ups with quiet dinners where they can all finally breathe.

Jaclyn rests her cheek on William's shoulder, closing her eyes for a second and relishing in the gossip Kate and Nat are sharing with Arthur while the others mumble. Six keeps flashing through her head and it makes her all warm inside.