Chapter 2

I rested my arms on our table with the chandelier light above us, bouncing through the bowls filled with pasta. Silence is the main dish and a silly brief argument could probably be our dessert later on. Earlier, a bit of confusion was served as an appetizer.

This is a usual dinner night for us. Nothing new with this same old routine. Kobie's eating while browsing through his phone, dad's reading articles on his tablet, and mom is focusing on her nails. While here's me thinking of what life could have been like if my actual parents are still alive. I wasn't with them for a long time but I still miss them.

When I was six, I used to go to sleep after they read fairy tales to me. And my adoptive parents never did that to me. Well, they've shown me that money is love. But I wanted something more than that. Maybe if I'm with my actual family by now, then we might be laughing at our jokes, recalling experiences, or listening to some classical music.

Not like this when all of them are busy with their personal lives. But I still should be grateful for this because at least we eat together, though there is completely no personal strong connection anymore. It's just a casual night to eat at one table.

I wiped my face using the napkin rested on my thighs. Then I placed it on the table. I leaned on the back of my chair. I don't know why I'm still here while I know what is going to happen next and I won't like it. There's nothing I can do about it anyway so the usual things I do are the ones to be performed right now: be calm, and think that it would be over soon.

"You got plans for tomorrow?" Dad broke the silence with his eyes held on mom. Instead of answering, she kept looking at her nails and tilting her fingers while smiling at them. I bet she spent a thousand dollars again to make nails with real gold and silver designs. "Hey!" Dad slightly yelled with his hand formed into a rock.

I think I've seen this film before. And I didn't like the ending. I know what will happen next and I might hate it. But why am I waiting? "Hey! I'm talking to you!" Mom almost jumped off her feet after hearing dad's yell. She frowned then rolled her eyes, exposing her thick layers of expensive makeup. "How was I supposed to know that you were talking to me?"

That's the biggest problem with both of them. They can fake their words and their smiles like how they do it in front of other people. But they choose to be true in front of us, their children.

I wish that they could have just been untrue to us instead of always fighting. Kobie and I have been neutral after all these years we've witnessed how much they hate each other. I forgot to do one thing, bring my headphones and phone for loud music because a loud volcanic eruption is about to begin and I need to protect my ears.

"Who else would I talk to?" Dad teasingly asked then took a sip from the glass of water beside his plate.

"I don't know! Maybe Kobie, maybe Shane, or maybe you were talking to yourself!" Mom responded then took her expensive nails off the table.

"Talking to myself? I'm not as crazy as you are!" Dad's smile vanished. I barely saw that.

"Did you just call me crazy?" Now, here it goes.

"Yes! I did!" That's dad, being too true.

"So, you're calling me crazy? In front of our kids?" When has she become concerned with what we feel when they fight? Sometimes she's even the one who causes an argument with them.

"Don't deny it! Crazy to hide all these years that you had an affair with my assistant!" So far, this is the worst dessert I've ever had in my whole life. And I guess no one would want this too.

"Where in the world did you get that freaking information?" I heard of it. That my mom has an affair with dad's assistant. Because of their businesses, they became famous for leading all their issues in a newspaper, on the TV, and everywhere on the internet. But even if mom sometimes is not the best wife you could wish for, I know she doesn't have an affair. Though dad and her fight so often, she's loyal to their relationship and that is what I don't know why.

"People are talking about it! About us!" It was also discussed by Britney and me yesterday on a phone call.

"And you believe in rumors?" Rumors. She used the right word.

"Who am I supposed to believe, you and your lies?" Oh, dad, you could have just let this slide. His fist was formed into a rock and his eyes are now barely open. Because of the heat around his face.

"Could you please just both shut up!" Kobie dropped his phone on the table after yelling and made a very loud noise with it. It made both of them stop and held their eyes on us. Smoke was exiting his nose, while his eyebrows were meeting each other. I've seen him this mad before but it was not because of our parents.

I bet he feels the same way as me. He stood up and grabbed his phone and then began walking away. He ran up the stairs and left with no words next to his yell earlier. I kept my back to the chair until mom and dad silently both looked at me. I can't believe this started with dad's simple concerned question about mom's plans for tomorrow.

Things could have gone easier if they chose to. I faked a calm smile at them and got up. "I'll go now too. Good night." I greeted.

Then I took the same route. I don't know what's next with all these craps but I'm pretty sure that someday things would be fine. I hope that sooner or later, they can finally figure things out.