Chapter 30

When I told Britney and Charlie everything, I felt like that was such a great achievement that I reached. As if my throat had a huge bone in it for the longest time and now, it has been removed.

The guilt of betraying my two best friends already has vanished. I feel comfortable because I'm not hiding anything from them anymore.

Kobie left earlier. He didn't have any rehearsal, practice, meetings for the basketball, or anything like that. He asked me if he should wait for me but I told him not to, saying that I would go home late because of the Journalism Try-Outs which didn't turn into an exact try-outs and it even ended shortly.

But I don't regret making him go away. I didn't want him to hear the conversation I and my best friends had. He's kind, I know but forever and always, he would be that one idiotic gossip king brother who makes every single thing an issue.

I took one of the seats at the back of the bus and placed my bag on my lap. I plugged my earphones on and leaned my head on the window. The driver is still waiting for the passengers to get it so I have more time of feeling this moment without the urge of opening my eyes since our house is not far away from here anyway.

The music from my phone began playing...

🎵When you are young they assume you know nothing. But I knew you: Dancing in your Levi's drunk under a streetlight I, I knew you; hand under my sweatshirt, baby kiss it better. And when I felt like I was an old cardigan under someone's bed. You put me on and said I was your favorite.🎵

Listening to the words of the song makes me think about the past.

The past I had which I don't want to think about but I keep pacing onto.

"You're currently a ninth-grader?" Arthur asked me.

It was the day we had our first date. The first night I felt alive, the first night I believed in love. I nodded and took a sip from the soda on the table.

I've been to so many fancy occasions. That's the result of being a stepdaughter of a rich family. You always get to attend different fancy gatherings. But still, that night was different. It was the fanciest place I've ever seen.

There were tons of chandeliers above us, the beige sheet on the table gave more elegance to the place, the floor was as shiny as the spoons and forks, and plates we were using.

I couldn't even speak right. Not because I had a lot of food in my mouth but because I was too nervous to talk. My hands were sweating and my thighs were kind of shaking. But I loved that sense of spark I had when I was around him.

"Yeah. A few more months and I'm off to tenth grade." I replied.

"That's nice, just a little tip from a former student, you should know that the teachers are so strict when it comes to being on time. So I suggest studying your timetable very well." We both chuckled.

I don't know why but every time we talk, he always sounded like he was so much older than me. He was. He was so much older than me.

But what I mean is that with every single word that comes out of his mouth, they sounded the same: They all sounded so mature and masculine. Like he was my dad, brother, or a relative.

Maybe if we could have been closer in age, everything went well...

Until now, that thought bothers me.

"You sure?" I used the fork to slice the meat in half. Though it was already formed into a half. I just wanted to make it smaller so it could fit inside my mouth without getting myself choked on it or something

"Trust me! It's legit!" I giggled again but tried my best not to spit out the food in my mouth.

"Okay, fine, I'll take that." He gently smiled and continued eating.

"Have you taken the exams yet?" I asked.

"Yes, I did. Just yesterday."

"Woah! Cool! How was it? Tell me!"

"Well, just fine. Not that easy, but not that hard as well."

"You mean, average?"

"Yeah! Right! That's the term! Just average."

"If ever you'll pass, what subject do you want to teach?" I wasn't sure if I asked him that question before. But I still asked him because I didn't want to get another minute of awkward silence with him. 

"I guess I would take English or History as I said before."

Darn it! I knew he said that earlier! And I looked like a fool there asking him a question I asked him before.

That night was normal. It was just a dinner date with a guy older than me. But I felt magical. I felt like there were lots of good spells casted inside my heart. It was something I never felt before.

I couldn't think of anything better. I was there with him so I ignored all the things beside us. The people walking by, the kids playing around, and the girls gossiping. Even the waiters were ignored by me. I almost forgot we were in a public restaurant.

I thought that was the best night of my life. That's where my feelings for him grew. I knew more about his life, his career, and also his likes and dislikes.

Likewise, I told him a lot about myself.

The music stopped leading me back to reality. I opened my eyes and tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear and licked my lips after it got dried because of the strong breeze coming from the air conditioner.

I found a girl lying next to me. I narrowed out the window and was calmed down as I realized that we haven't passed through our house yet. But we're close though.

I can't help thinking about the memories I spent with him. My first love and my first heartbreak. Especially now that he's back around, I don't think I can still forget the old us. I would see him every day and his presence would always remind me of our relationship.

Still, I should remember what he told me: He's here for his job and not for me.