Chapter 49

If I will not take his offer, then this night would be meaningless for me. On the other hand, if I dance with him and it means nothing, then it's just as stupid as thinking you can fly without wings or any equipment.

My hands are shaking.

A sign that it's very excited to take Arthur's hand and let him spin me around. Should I take this? I'm not sure what's about to be the outcome of this decision. But... come what may!

I grabbed it slowly, which helped me stand up. He began walking backward and my feet automatically followed his steps as if it has memorized all the movements that Arthur makes.

"Just relax, okay? And act like you own this night." He smiled and immediately rose his hands. I turned around and when I was about to drop my body as a part of the dance, he caught me with his broad shoulders and muscled arms.

It's like I'm lying on a pillow right now. It feels good to lie on something like this. Another thing I missed about him. I thought I can never have this. He rose me up and so my back landed on his burning body. Our faces were close to each other and our hands were tied with our fingers.

I looked at his red and shiny lips but when he spun me around once again, I realized where I was staring at. Now, I'm facing him with his hands on my waist and mine on his neck. "I might not be the guy you want to spend this night with and I'm aware of that. But I want you to enjoy your last prom at this university."

He smiled. He's the guy I want to spend this night with. I just couldn't admit it to myself. I was too shy and nervous that I would look like a fool. And the more I avoided being one, the more I became one.

"Why are you doing this?" Just to break the silence between us, I asked.

"Dancing with you? Because you clearly don't have someone to dance with." I smiled.

"No, I mean... well, yeah like that. But, why are you being all of a sudden this nice to me? You shouldn't." Am I... speechless?

"Why shouldn't I?" The heck! My heart is about to get out of my chest.

"Because you're my ex."

"So what? Just because you're my ex doesn't mean I can't be nice to you. Do you want me to scream, hurt, or slap you by now?" I saw the confusion because of the frown on his face.

"Okay, I know. But why do you have to be nice?"

"Look, you might think I'm doing this because I need to. That's right. I need to help you spend this night rightly as your teacher but the main reason I'm doing this is that I want to. I want to be nice to you, I want to make you happy, and I want you to feel the best in the world on this prom."

I nodded slowly and let his words sink into my mind. There's one thing left to do. Pretend that we were never a thing in the past and we're total strangers trying to survive this night.

Okay.

I'm good with that.

"Thank you," he smiled back and took a step backward making me follow it.

🎵Dirty tissues, trust issues, glasses on the sink they didn't fix you. Lonely pillows on a stranger's bed, and voices in my head. Secret keeping, stop the bleeding, lost a little weight 'cause I wasn't eating. All the songs that I could listen to, to tell the truth. Loving you was young, wild, free. Loving you was cool, hot, and sweet🎵

What the heck is that?

All of a sudden, they played a sad song with a rhythm related to an event like this but I don't think the lyrics are accurate. "What is that? A sad song? Seriously?" Turns out Arthur is thinking of the same thing.

"Maybe they tapped the wrong song." He just chuckled at my statement and held his eyes back to me. "Who's choosing all those songs by the way?" He must know it. He's a teacher here.

"It's Carter. He's really into a lot of sad songs. I guess that's the reason why. Maybe he also forgot this is a prom and not a heartbreak camp." I couldn't help but laugh at his words.

Luckily, I wasn't assigned for that work.

If I were, I could have played a lot of Dan + Shay songs and I won't care whether they are love or sad songs, or if they have dirty meanings and beats or rhythms not applicable for this event. At least Carter knows how to choose wisely when it comes to melodies.

"I see," we both giggled again.

He took a step forward which made me take a step backward. "Do you remember when we used to dance around the kitchen with my refrigerator light?" He asked.

Oh, he does?

"Darn, yeah. Do you?" I can feel it, my hair which is tied into a bun is about to fall down.

"Obviously," he responded.

"What? How? The Arthur I know easily forgets things. I remember when we used to go on dates, you always forget one thing at your house and that is either your handkerchief, watch, or reading glasses.

"Yes, you're right. I easily forget things. And so, if I still remember one thing or two, then that means it is special. Not supposed to be forgotten or, it might be something I always have in my mind."

I smiled in my mind but outside, I wasn't showing any reaction. My heart finally calmed down. I didn't know all it needs is Arthur's words to me. "So was it special to you, or it's just always on your mind?"

"Both," I clenched my jaw.

Wow.

I don't know if I should believe him or not.

Maybe for once, I should show my trust for him by believing what he said. I let my head fall onto his shoulder and I wrapped my arms wider around his back.