Chapter 52

I wanted to ask mom about everything that Arthur said at the prom. But last night, when I checked into her room, she wasn't there neither dad. So, instead of calling her or telling my best friends or my brother about it, I just slept, though it was hard for me. I just realized Kobie knows nothing about it. I tried my best to sleep early.

I lay on my bed at something like eleven or twelve. I even tried to avoid my phone because I knew it was going to keep me up all night. But it didn't help me because lots of thoughts crashed into my mind. I'm wondering why my mom did that. I don't get it.

How did she find out about my past relationship? How did she know Arthur? How did she know his place? And most of all, why did she do that when I never even asked her to? I slept at three or four because of all the things I was thinking of.

But mom and dad didn't arrive during those hours. I was kind of waiting for them. Kind of because I was trying to sleep and, at the same time, was waiting. But it wasn't the reason I was awake.

I left the prom without telling Charlie and Britney about it. They called me several times on my phone and sent me text messages, but I didn't respond to any of those. I just felt like I had to keep it to myself. Again.

It felt like the walls were caving in but I liked the way it did. So, I didn't look for anyone else but my mom who has he answers to all the questions flooding my head and not letting me sleep.

Hopefully, she is already downstairs. I set my alarm clock at exactly five because I know that's when she wakes up. She usually go to her office nearly six or six-thirty usually along with dad.

I ran down the stairs with my hands sliding through the cases. I feel nervous doing this. I want to make sure Arthur told me the truth last night. I want to know why she did all those things and why she didn't tell me. I found her with her back pointed at me while doing something which I didn't see. Something like mixing egg with mayonnaise or whatever it is.

For the first time in two years, she's cooking our breakfast. I don't know if she also found out that Arthur told me about everything so she's prepearing our food, or she's just in a good mood. "Hey mom," I greeted her calmly.

Yet, I am sure of nothing. So, I don't want to scream and ask her because Arthur might have lied. I need to be polite because I am still clueless abojt what is happening. "Oh, hey there, why are you so early? You're school will start at seven, right? You should get more sleep." I smiled.

"Well, mom, I really wanted to wake up this morning." I saw the happiness in her face. I guess she misinterpreted what I said.

"Wow! That is so great! My little girl is being so productive!" I knew it.

"No, I mean, mom, I was wondering if maybe... you can spare a minute or two for me? I need to ask you something." She nodded with her mouth formed into a circle after realizing what I meant by what I said.

"Oh, sure! What is it you want to ask me about?" I took a deep breath. I can't believe I'm nervous about this.

"Arthur." She frowned.

"Arthur? Who's Arthur?" She asked.

"Please, stop acting like you don't know what I mean!"

"I don't know what you mean."

"Mom! I'm tired hearing lies my whole life." I calmly complained.

"Fine. What about him?" She wiped her hands with the apron she is wearimg and sat down on the chair in front of me.

"Why did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Mom!"

"Okay, okay." She placed her arm on the table and pressed her lips.

"One time, I saw you in your room crying while holding your phone. I thought you were crying over a book, a song, but when I looked closer, I figured out it was a picture of a guy. Then when you came to the bathroom, I rushed inside and grabbed your phone. I saw his picture clearly. I searched more and more in it and found a lot of pictures. That's when I figured out you had a secret boyfriend."

I sighed.

She resumed. "I thought you were about to get out but you didn't so I kept browsing through the notebooks on your table. I let it slide and waited for you to tell me about it. But you never did. And each night you cry, I realized how hard it was for you so I decided to search about the guy you were sobbing for and when I found out who he was, I asked him personally to come back."

I should have known that mom knew about it.

"Why did you do that?"

"Because even if you're not my real daughter, I don't like seeing you sad. I thought giving him back to you as a way to make you happier. But it made you more mesirable instead. I'm very sorry for doing this, Shane. I just wanted to fulfill all my loss in you."

"Loss? What loss?"

"All the fights I had with your dad, all the time I was supposed to take you to school, the days I was supposed to go shopping with you, and the promises I kept but didn't do. I thought I can fulfill all of those gut instead, I gave you much more problems." The teardeop formed in her eyes fell to her apron.

"Mom, don't ever think I needed more from you. I am content with everything. All the efforts you made just to give me everyhing I wanted, adopting me like this, and treating me like your own daughter. Those are enough for me." I smiled and she wiped her eyes.

I pressed my lips and she stood up then widely opened her arms offering a hug. I wanted to back away because I was unsure of taking but still, I ran to her and took the offer. "I love you so much," I tapped her back.

"I love you more." Her breath is warm enough to send goosebumps to my nerves.