Chapter 20

I don't know what should I expect about him. "It's okay. I let people be themselves in front of me." After taking another sip, he winked with a smirk, making Britney's hand separate itself from me. I know him so well, he doesn't get drunk that easily. And fresh from my memory was the first night I saw him get drunk but acted like the alcohol did not affect him at all.

It was back when I attended a beach party by myself. Kobie was supposed to come there with me, but that night he said he wasn't feeling well. Perhaps the effect of making out with a lot of girls in one week. I even tried my best to make him come with me, pushed and pressured him, but he admitted he was really feeling a lot of pain that night and all he wanted to do was to sleep.

So, I did what every good sister would do. I let him sleep through the night and made him soup before leaving. We used to have maids preparing all things for us, but when we both entered high school, dad fired them all and we were left to assist ourselves. And I can't trust mom to spend her time medicating her biological son because she's too busy, same as our father.

There I was, left to do their job. I placed it on the table beside his bed, and when I touched his face, I realized how hot he was. And that he wasn't lying about what he was feeling. I also left a bag full of medicines he could have used to feel better.

Then I took the subway bus to get to the beach party. It was hosted by the new kid in our school who lived near the sea. Britney had an emergency thing with Eros. She said he got into a bicycle accident and she was assigned there to look out for him so she couldn't come with me. While Charlie who I was supposed to go there with also had an urgent important dinner with her relatives.

I wanted to not go there anymore since I was about to be alone, but that new kid really rooted for me a lot. I didn't want to disappoint him so I did the last thing I could just to not dissatisfy him. I arrived with the sun already set down the mountains and the moon was out together with the bright and shining stars in the sky almost had no clouds visible on it.

"You're here! I knew you could make it," her soft smile brightened my heart making me think that I didn't upset her or something. I took the hug she offered with her wide open arms. "Yes, I'm here, couldn't stand you," I said with a slight chuckle. Then she giggled along with me while tapping my back.

She was really nice and friendly but we couldn't be that close friends because she was too busy with all her extra-curricular activities. Smart kid life. We still talked a lot but not like a special close conversation like what I get with my two best friends. We only have a causal talk which isn't that unusual at all.

We both let go of each other when she greeted all the other guests. The sea was calmed and the wooden chairs were fixed into several circles. Inside of each circle were sets of stones gathered together with leaves in the middle of them causing huge images of fire. They were enormous but just enough for the others to roast their marshmallows and stand as light so we could see each other. It also made the cold temperature a little warm. I sat around the empty circle and took the cup she offered me.

But I secretly threw the alcohol inside it into the fire. As I expected, it grew bigger but no one noticed it. I spent like half an hour sitting there alone while listening to the loud music which wasn't even my type but I had no choice since I wasn't the host anyway. I never hosted a party though. I don't know why. Kobie has. I think he did that seven times. Usually when mom and dad are gone for business stuff. But they never knew about it. He's good at keeping secrets.

I placed the cup beside me and stared as the leaves got burned by the fire.

🎵 I swear I meant to mean the best when it ended. Even try to bite my tongue when you start this. Now you're texting all my friends asking questions; they never even liked you in the first place. Dated a girl that I hate for the attention. She only made it two days what a connection. 🎵

As I listened to the song, I felt a guy approaching me. I looked up at him and recognized it was Arthur. I thought of calling him a party guy because the first time we encountered was at a party and the third time, at a party too. But then I remembered that the second time we saw each other was at the vinyl shop and when I came to one party a week before that, I expected him to show up but he didn't.

"Hey," he whispered.

I smiled back and he sat next to me offering me the red cup he was holding. "I don't drink," I refused to grab it from his hands.

"Come on, it's okay." He insisted. "How old are you?" He asked.

"I'm eighteen." He giggled. "See, it's okay. You're not a kid. Even if the cops show up they won't arrest you."

"I still don't drink," I complained. I don't know what is it they like about it. But all I knew was that no matter what happens, I will try not to get addicted to it like the others.

"That's your choice to miss out all the fun," he winked then took a sip.

"She invited you? Are you from her school?" I asked.

"Well, she invited me but I'm not a student anymore. Freshly graduated a few months ago." I frowned.

"Then how did you guys know each other?"

"We're childhood friends."

"Oh, I see. That's nice."