Chapter 43

"Miss Shane Labrador!"

Hearing the professor scream my name for the fourth time, my eyes widened, and I was taken back to the current time. I realized I'd been staring at the wind for this long. "W-what?" I played dumb and fixed my seat while rubbing my sweaty hands against each other.

Everyone's eyes are one, including Britney and Charlie. Seems like I caught their attention.

No! Please, not again!

Different teacher, same old situation.

I thought I swore to myself I would never get lost in my memories again. But here I am, trying to fight this feeling. "Are you paying attention?" I can feel the madness in his voice. But it's also obvious how he's trying to lower his voice. "Umm, ah... yes. Yes, sir! I am! I am paying attention." I gulped.

I hope he won't ask me any questions I'm not prepared for. He nodded while keeping his arms crossed with the marker wrapped around his fingers. "Good. But I don't think you're okay. Is there any problem with you? I feel like you're onto something."

Not the type of response I expected from him but it's better than getting scolded in front of the whole class again. I thought this would be a dèjà vu of that one thing that happened to me last week with Arthur.

He's the first teacher who scolded me. But I hope that was the last time he did. I let him treat me like that since I kind of learned to act normal when he's around. "No, sir. I'm onto nothing. I'm okay. There are no problems with me. I'm all good." I faked a smile.

If I can only tell him everything, then I would have done it. But we're not close. If he's not my teacher I might not even be talking to him like this. "You look awful, you know? I mean, you're obviously not okay."

Why is he even asking me that? Oh, because it is his job!

Well, maybe Arthur's spirit has gotten over him.

Darn this brain! It always reminds me of Arthur and I hate it.

"Umm, no. I'm okay. I guess I should just get more sleep at home." He frowned but still nodded. Another lie for the better.

"I see. Then that means you should get more sleep at home later. But for now, please pay attention, this is important. And I'm letting this slide because you're one of my best students with the best grades. Just promise you won't be like this next time."

I already said I'm okay. What else is the big deal with that?

"Yes, yes, sir. I'm sorry. I promise it won't happen again next time." He nodded again.

Before he can even let the marker slide to the board, the bell rang. "Oh, men! That has been an hour already? Well, I guess that's it for this Thursday. Wait for your next teacher!" He immediately ran out of the room as if time is chasing him.

Or he's chasing time.

The bell should have sounded earlier. It was so late. We already got into an awkward conversation and I already caught people's attention. That shouldn't have happened.

As I lay my eyes right from the papers on my table to the door, I caught Arthur entering. His shoes are black but as shiny as the sunlight. And his wavy brunet hair gives justice to the white polo he's wearing.

He's an expert when it comes to fashion.

And also when it comes to cheating.

He should have been an expert in making me feel good during the days I needed him.

"Good day, class! Tell me about your day before we start."

I don't want to start a fight, but here's my mouth automatically moving when he's around. "Earlier it was good, but now, not anymore." Why did I say that when in the first place, I wanted peace between us?

"Woah, sounds terrible. Why do you think it is now bad, Miss Shane?"

"You know the answers. So stop asking me."

"You always say I got the answers."

"Because I'm telling the truth, c'mon!" I chuckled a bit but silence prevailed while we were talking as if it was only him and I left in the room. "But you don't have to be that rude."

"Is this rude to you? What is worse than dating three girls at the same time and labeling their names on your phone as Babe #1, Babe #2, Babe #3?" He rolled his eyes and walked toward the table.

"Not letting someone explain first before breaking up with him. That is one thing ruder than what you mentioned."

"As if you know what you're talking about." I thought the people around us would begin murmuring and gossiping about us. I feel like it's getting very obvious now. But instead, they held their heads down and covered their eyes with books like they don't want to get involved.

Only Britney and Charlie are the ones left with eyes wide open and pointed to us. "That's not rude. There are certain reasons she didn't let him explain. And it's because she figured everything out. And he had nothing to explain about."

Another fight. But the only difference between this one from the other ones we had before is that right now, we're not screaming at each other.

"How can you say he had nothing to say? You haven't even been to his heart." He defended.

"Heart? Psychopaths don't have a heart. They're heartless and they feel nothing." I crossed my arms and leaned at the back of my seat.

"Don't insult psychopaths by accusing someone using the name of their disorder." I slightly tilted my head.

"Wow! Look at you! Defending yourself, huh? So adorable. Always holding your pride like you should have held Babe #3 when she needed you to." I smirked.

By now, they're supposed to be laughing hard and talking about us but they're quiet. It's making me feel like they're not around.

"She never told me she needed me to do that. She always acted like she got everything in control. She faked her smiles and her words, and she even acted like she can handle everything... So, how was I supposed to know that you needed me? I tried so many times to get to you but you kept pushing me away." When he began using his own point of view, his cold voice became so much lower and his eyes began looking like they were hurt.

He's right.

I was that kind of girl back then.

But I never thought of it.

I never thought I was a girl faking my smiles and acting like I can handle everything.

Thus, during the times he walked up to me and offered his help, I refused to let him help me. I thought I could make it by myself.

"Then you gave up all of a sudden? You didn't even try to attempt again?" I know I'm already wrong. But my mind is still telling me to fight.

"I did, I tried so many times. But I got tired of it."

"When you love someone, you never get tired of waiting or understanding or wanting them! Because you love them, so you'd do everything just to get them back. Why didn't you do that?"

"Sometimes no matter how you love someone, and no matter how hard you try, you will never be able to understand them. Because they were born that way. And when you're trying to fix someone who needed someone else to fix them, you're like you're chasing the air."

I can't deny I'm wrong by now and he's the right one.