Chapter 5

A small amount of sunlight was bouncing through my skin as I locked my eyes on the clouds and my fingers were tapping the chair. Both Charlie and Shane are still asleep, so it's just me trying to kill time out of the house. After we ate, we didn't sleep. We gossiped about a few teachers with their dirt and issues going on in the world right now.

They fell asleep at five in the morning already and I tried my best to do the same thing, but I couldn't. I ended up with my eyes wide open while they were enjoying their dreams. I was on my phone, browsing on Instagram and TikTok, then watching some random throwback videos on YouTube. My phone died earlier, so I have to do something else.

That's why I'm out here trying to spend my time observing nature. The wind was blowing my hair away and sending chills to my nerves. My phone charges fast and I've been out here for two hours already. I think it's full but I don't want to check it yet. I want to do something else excluding gadgets. How am I supposed to walk around or jog when I don't have anyone with me? I want to do it with my two best friends, but I don't want to ruin their sleep either.

I flipped my hair to the right after I almost tasted them with my tongue. I used to hate how it's big and curly. Because it makes me odd to the surrounding people. Back then, I used to wish I was blonde or brunet or ginger because I was insecure about the curls I got.

But I received a lot of compliments from my friends, classmates, and sometimes even my step-parents. That's why I can say they're pretty nice. I still hate it but not that much anymore like how I used to. Because I learned from my fellow teenagers who have the same condition that having this kind of hairstyle means that I'm unique. For not everyone has this. Some even try to use wigs just o achieve this type of curl but it comes naturally to me.

All along, I've been counting the cars passing by. And also the people walking, riding a bike, motorcycling, and playing with their dogs. This is such a crowded town. "Enjoying by yourself?" I looked up after hearing a cold voice from my side. Oh, boy. I hope the girls aren't watching because it would be another session of a laughing hour if they find out. I faked a smile as Eros slowly sat beside me with two cups of milk in his hand.

I took the other one after he offered it to me. I wrapped my arms around the warm sides of it but didn't take a sip. "How was your early breakfast?" Good thing I haven't drunk the milk yet or if I did, I could have spat it to his face. That would be more than annoying. I will regret it for the rest of my life especially because he and my best friend live together.

I licked my lips after they got dried. "I don't think Sneakers are considered breakfast." He giggled and then began rubbing the back of his neck while smiling downwards with his brown hair being blown by the wind. "You ate Sneakers for breakfast, huh?" Now I get why Britney and Charlie laughed earlier. What he said wasn't even funny but still, I laughed. Wait, was that again?

"It wasn't exactly breakfast." My voice sounded like I was being squeezed by an ice crusher. I was just unsure to speak.

"You said it was." I really don't get why a male's voice in puberty sounds good while a girl's sounds terrible.

"I was kidding." I wanted to tell him that it was just an alibi but what can I say? The filter makes things look better. Or in my case, sound better.

"Okay?" After that one word, there was nothing else but the wind and the sound of orange leaves crunching down on the ground. It was a complete moment of silence as I stared at his brown eyes. That's how fast the night changes. It was like yesterday when we used to play around, climb trees, hide, tag each other, and even pretend like we were fairies and monsters. But now, we talk awkwardly like we have never seen each other before.

We weren't that close. In addition, he's two years older than me but back in the days, when we were kids, sometimes, he used to join us when we play hide and seek. But that doesn't always happen because he's busy with baseball. Just when he's bored or when his parents told him to, he would play with us. But still, we all had a good time. He even became a part of our group. It was me, Peter, Britney, Charlie, and him. He was very nice and kind... and funny.

Until his sixth-grade year came along crashing all of us. We fell out of touch. He stopped playing with us, he even acted like he doesn't know me just to look cool in front of his new set of friends. Then he became cold. But when maturity met him, he was not that grumpy anymore and talks to us but still not like how he did before. "You're entering your third year of college, right?" I broke the silence lying between us.

He nodded, "umm, yeah. That's right."

"That's great. Congratulations! So, that means you'll graduate next year?" I asked.

"Uh-huh." He kept smiling. I wonder if his cheekbones hurt. He hasn't stopped grinning since he sat beside me. "Wow. You're about to live freely." He giggled a little.

"Not really."

"What? Why?"

"Life would be boring without school."

"Right." I rubbed my hair. "What job would you take?"

"Perhaps something related to my major."

"What is your current major?"

"English." He answered

"You mean something related to Shakespeare." He shook his head in laughter.

"Maybe I would end up writing poems and stories about heartbreak." His strong English accent makes him look like a professional broadcaster. It's great. I wonder why he never applied for the journalism team on their campus. He could have been a great radio anchor.