Chapter 9

Finally, after three months of summer, the end of senior high has begun. This is it! what I've been waiting for. The school was not as harsh as it looked like in movies because honestly, I enjoyed it. It was the only safe place I had in the tough world trying to knock me down. I will miss this fancy uniform soon. But I hope not because the college uniform is so much better than this. More like the ones in fantasy shows.

People have always told me that school sucks especially my fellow teenagers. But I had a different outlook on it ever since I entered seventh grade. Because I realized that school can teach you lessons that you never know you need. Like to let something go and accept the reality. Which were the harshest lessons I learned in thirteen years of my student life since kindergarten.

"Could you please slow down? It's too early! I can't believe you're trying to catch the time!" I scolded Kobie after almost shaking my head by the way he drove. Luckily, police officers aren't here because if they are, then we're probably charged for overspeeding by now. "First, your school is far from mine, and second, I have to get to school early because all those freaking teachers assigned me as one of the students to assemble the auditorium chairs for the upcoming seventh graders. Lastly, this is not even fast." I rolled my eyes at the nonsense reason he gave.

I know he's not the type of a helpful student. "Why didn't you refuse? Like you always do?" He held the steering wheel in a tight grip and kept his wide eyes on the road. "I was forced, didn't have a choice." It was obvious in his voice how insulted he was. Now I believe that he's telling me the truth.

Later on, in long minutes of fast driving, he stopped the car in front of my school. I guess after three months nothing has changed. Except for the banner hung at the second floor's balcony window covering the original sign of our campus name with its badge. I smiled and took a deep breath as I opened the door of the car and got out with the windows down. I missed this place.

Leaves were falling down from the tall tree above me which is shading me against the bright sun shining in the sky. "Bye! Catch you later!" Kobie slapped me back from my fantasies when he spoke in his chilly voice like a cold-blooded killer. Sometimes I get terrified because of that voice he has which always sounds like he's going to do something terrible.

"Yeah! Bye!" I waved back.

My shoes crunched the leaves on the ground as my feet stepped towards the entrance door. A few people were murmuring while sitting on the benches beneath enormous trees standing as sheds for them. Birds flying by were chirping while I walked up the stairs and pushed the glass door open. Last year, as seniors, we were on the third floor. So I guess this time we would still be.

I would thank for life whoever would build an elevator here because it would be useful. Walking up the stairs is even more tiring than studying. The cases are cold and maybe the staff hasn't turned the air conditioner on so it's still a little hot. I hope I'm still classmates with Britney and Charlie and not with Olivia anymore. Well, she's honestly nothing for me but she treats us like trash.

And that's one thing I would never let slide. She always teases Britney and so, she's pretending that she doesn't want to fight back and promotes peace between them but when it's just the three of us, her words are worst than ever about that dog. I call Olivia a dog because of her attitude.

But I don't think that's the right term. Then what should it be?

Rat?

No.

Butterfly?

Definitely freaking no. No. No.

Pig?

Perfect!

She likes pink so much anyway so I won't feel bad calling her a pig.

I scattered my eyes around and looked for the classrooms intended for our grade level. I heard there are only four sections so I would have to look for my name in all the papers in front of each room.

Here we go. Room number one.

My eyes went from the top to the bottom.

But I realized I was looking at the boys' names.

So I switched to the girls and ran my eyes from the bottom to the top with my fingers rolling on each name and number.

There we go!

Number 22. Shane Labrador.

I walked to the door and pulled it open. There are not many people here yet so I guess I still have time to wander around. Chance who is Charlie's boyfriend is sitting on a twin chair with his bag on the other side. I bet he's saving that for his girlfriend. As always.

I chose a twin chair too which I can share with Britney. I can't share it with anyone else either. So it's just her. I placed my bag on the side to save it and my phone on the table. As I was just thinking of her, there she went! Perfectly entered with the one strap of her bag hanging on her shoulder. I waved and she did the same. Her feet were leading onto me and so I spoke.

"I thought you won't use that bag because you used it last year and the other year." I teased as she sat beside me and fixed her skirt to sit properly. Chance doesn't seem to get bothered by the noise being made by us. He's steadily staring at his phone while scrolling down with a smile planted on his lips. "Bags in the mall didn't meet my standards." Her whisper was low enough for me not to hear it clear.

But wait, I did,

"You mean your aesthetic vibes standard?" My arms were crossed with my hair being blown by the wind coming from the opened window.

"You got it!" I wonder if the chalkboard is new because it does look like one. But I don't want to believe it because it looks like it has been there for a long time. And letters were written on it in all capital letters saying:

"WELCOME TWELFTH GRADERS!"

"That's totally not here." We both giggled.