Chapter 32

It was the best night of my life. I had a lot of great nights before, but that was different.

Special.

We stopped by in front of the mall where we judged the outfits of the people getting in and getting out. It proved to me that boys are more judgmental than girls. I saw a kid walking by who, in my opinion, was wearing just a nice hoodie, but he called it trash. And he also said that it was the worst hoodie he has ever seen in his whole life.

I never thought he can judge things like that.

Boys will be boys. Expect what you shouldn't expect from them.

We drank the cans of Coca-Cola inside the car. He gave me two of them and he only took one saying that he's on a diet. He only ate two of the chips and let me take the other five. No wonder why I had an infinite amount of pee when I got home.

That night was magical. I don't know how that happened. I've always been with him since I was a kid. We play different games back then. I've seen how he became cold to me through the days and acted like he's so much older than me, though our age gap is just three years. And I saw how his energy came back. I've never felt that way for him before.

And I never thought I would. Maybe because I only looked at him as an older brother since all those years, I though him and Britney were real siblings. Turns out Britney was adopted too.

Maybe we should call our group of friends an adopted kids squad?

Because were all adopted.

Britney was given away by her mom to her brother who took care of her, fed her, and raised her.

Charlie was found by his adoptive parents down the highway and adopted her since they had no idea who her real parents were.

While I don't even know if my real parents are still dead or alive.

The only difference between the three of us is that ever since I was a kid, I was already aware that I am adopted. I was six years old when my stepmom and dad got me from the orphanage. While the Charlie and Britney felt like they'd been betrayed to and their step-parents lied to them. They never knew that they were adopted until the twist of life hits them.

"Okay, that was such a nice essay! Now, another one from the Feature group, miss Shane Labrador please read to us what you have written." We were supposed to do this last Monday but he was too busy as he said and yesterday, some of the members were still not yet done with their works.

As for today is Wednesday, we are doing it.

I walked to the center and Arthur made his way to his seat earlier then sat there.

"So, this is the essay I wrote for the school paper and the title is Something Different. First of all, this is very short because I was so tired when I made this. I'm sorry if you'll feel like it isn't enough." They nodded and watched me as I held my sight to the journal where I wrote it. My eyes met the words written on the paper and I began reading all of them.

"What is that one something different that we always think about? When did it begin? How can you say that it is different from the other things? Why do you think it is special? Perhaps traumatic? Or magical? Whatever it is, we all know that it is significant and nothing like the others.

Lovers break up, babies get born, strangers die, the world is aging, but one thing stays the same: Memories will always be in our minds.

My first love is something different. It was chaotic, hustle, fun, nonsense, and thrilling at the same time.

If we could have been closer in age, maybe we're still together. But that is the fact that I could die for.

If he wasn't a narcissist who dated three girls at the same time, maybe I don't hate him like this.

Or if he never came back even if it's for his job, then maybe I'm not this sad.

I learned one thing in our relationship; sometimes to go away is the right thing.

I never thought that was possible.

He made me laugh, made me smile, made me cry, made me want to die, and made me apply the lessons I learned in school.

My first love will always be that something different in my life. The trauma will forever be iconic."

I read it whole without any break, or deep pause, or even a breath.

I just read it and read it and read every single word written on the paper.

I ignored his presence and spoke as if it was only me in that room. But I know that he knows what I am talking about.

I took a bow and everyone began clapping their hands loudly. I looked to the other side and found Britney smiling at me. "That was great," he stood up and took the place where I was standing at earlier. I sat back in my seat and watched him lay his eyes on the paper I gave him. The copy of the essay I wrote. "But miss Labrador, I just want you to know that next time, please try something different. I don't think principals and teachers would like to read about your past relationship."

He really is trying his best to embarrass me.

"Seriously?" I caught everyone's attention.

"What?" He crossed his arms.

"You said that the Feature group where I belong should write something about our worst experience." I held my head up.

"Come on! It's impossible that your first love is your worst experience." He slightly chuckled and shook his head gently.

"Everyone is different. Perhaps your first love was fun, but mine wasn't. I was played with like a toy."

"Maybe you just thought you were played with like a toy but you really weren't." I rolled my eyes.

I don't want to speak again. I know where this conversation would lead to.

Screaming, fighting, and yelling.

He will keep on defending his side and I would do the same. It's like I'm using fire to shut a fire down.