Worried Edgeworth

Phoenix's pov

*knock knock*

I was shocked. Someone was at the door. Who? Miles shouldn't be back for another week and everyone else was too busy.

So who could it be?

"daddy you should answer. It's rude to keep guests waiting" trucy said firmly.

I nodded nervously as I opened the door. Who I saw there shocked me.

"nick!" miles cupped my cheeks with concern in his eyes "dear god I was so worried. I've been calling and texting you but I got no reply. I thought you were dead in a ditch somewhere!"

"miles I'm fine" I sighed. I feel terrible about making him worry like that.

"yes I can see that now" he sighed "why weren't you answering my calls nick? It's not like you to have your phone off"

I was about to answer when trucy popped up.

"hi mister. Would you like some tea?" she asked politely.

"nick who is this little girl?" miles asked, clearly shocked by the mysterious girl in his apartment.

I sighed "ok sit down. I'll explain everything"

*time skip*

"you lost your badge" miles said slowly, the news clearly coming as a shock to him.

"yeah" I hung my head in shame. I never wanted to face him this way.

"why didn't you call me sooner!" he yelled "this is a injustice! I'll get this sorted out immediately"

"don't bother" I sighed "there's no proof that I didn't forge evidence"

"but of course you didn't. It's not in your nature" Miles folded his arms "I still don't understand. Why did you tell me about this?"

"oh I don't know Mr perfect win record. Maybe I just didn't want you looking down on me?" I lashed out. I didn't mean it of course but I was just so frustrated at everything. I couldn't stop myself.

Miles face turned dark "you told me that you didn't hold my past against me. Was that just a lie!?"

"no of course not-"

"then why have you been ignoring me!?" he yelled with tears in his eyes "please tell me what I did wrong!"

I stayed silent. A part of me wanted to scream that I'm wrong. To hold him in my arms and feel safe again but I couldn't be selfish. I had to let him go before he got dragged into my mess.

"fine. If this is how you truly feel then I want nothing more to do with you" he grabbed his bags and headed for the door "good day Wright!" he slammed the door behind him.

I watched that door in stunned silence. He's gone. The greatest thing that ever happened to me and he's gone! I felt my breathing quicken when...

"is this my fault?" trucy clung to her hat with small tears in her eyes "did the man leave because I gave you the bad evidence?"

I quickly gave her a reassuring smile "no no of course not baby girl" I scooped her up in my arms "it's just sometimes you have to let go of the people you care about. It's part of being a adult"

"being a adult sounds scary" she whispered.

"it sure is baby girl" I said as I held her close, my eyes still on that door.