Chapter 9 - The Reconnection

Ayla woke up to a sudden jolt as she snapped her eyes open, surprised to find Hunter hovering her. Hunter immediately puts a hand over her mouth when she looked like she was going to scream.

"Ayla? It's me, it's just me" Hunter said, turning on the table lamp. "Are you okay?" 

"Huh?" Ayla asked in her sleepy voice, Hunter slowly removing his hand.

"You were mumbling and tossing around in your sleep. What happened?" Hunter asked.

"Mumbling? What was I mumbling?" Ayla asked, rubbing her eyes.

"You were saying, 'don't leave me' and 'please listen to me' and some stuff like that. Did you have a nightmare?" Hunter asked, his tone showed that he was very worried of her.

Ayla squeezed her eyebrows, trying to remember but she just couldn't remember what did she dream about. "I can't remember"

"Has this been happening often lately?" Hunter asked.

"Yeah, a few times every night. I'd wake up in the middle of the night, scared of something I don't know what" Ayla said, tears forming at the end of her eyes.

Hunter sighed, pulling her into a hug. He wiped of her tears before ruffling her hair. He reached for the table lamp and turned it off.

"It's okay, it's okay. I'm right here. I'll be right here, okay?" Hunter said to which Ayla only nodded. Hunter was grateful that he decided to sleep with Ayla in the guest room while Stephanie sleeps in their room, right beside theirs. He didn't want Ayla to be in her room for the time being and he wanted to be there for her all the time. 

He couldn't let Stephanie sleep with them since he wanted his wife to feel comfortable and 3 people sleeping on the bed that was meant for only 2 people wouldn't be that comfortable for her. If Stephanie wasn't pregnant, then it was fine if they three shared a bed. But he didn't want Stephanie to feel stuffed or uncomfortable, neither did he want Ayla to sleep alone.

"Just sleep, I'll be right here, hmm?" Hunter assured. They both remained silent throughout. Neither of them were able to sleep. Hunter was worried for her and Ayla was just unable to sleep. 

"Daddy?" Ayla called out to Hunter surprise.

"Hmm?"

"You asleep yet?" Ayla asked.

"Not yet. What's wrong, baby?" Hunter asked. 

Ayla lifted her head up and looked at him. "Can't sleep" She shrugged.

"Why not?"

"I'm scared"

"Of what, love?" Hunter bent his chin down so their eyes would meet.

"I don't know" Ayla said. "And I feel a little nausea"

He caressed her cheek, studying her reaction through the dark. He hoisted himself up and rested his back against the bedframe, pulling her up with him. He laid her head on his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around her, caressing her back. 

"Better?" He asked. 

Ayla nodded. Her head felt lighter with the elevation. She stayed there in the hug, trying her best to fall asleep but failed. Her eyes just couldn't keep shut although her body felt really tired. Even the calm heart beat rhythm that was heard from her father's chest couldn't calm her like how it used to before. 

She let out a sigh before lifting her head up, surprised to see Hunter staring at the ceiling, his eyes wide open as well. Hunter bent down, surprised to see Ayla still not asleep. 

"Still can't sleep?" Hunter asked.

"I'm sorry, daddy" Ayla apologized. 

"That's okay. You wanna share about what is bothering you?" Hunter asked.