Chapter 47 - The Confrontation

Ayla woke up in the middle of the night. Her room light was still turned on since she has no idea when did she fall asleep after crying earlier. She checked her phone and it was way past midnight.

Her stomach grumbled, reminding her that she hasn't eaten yet. With the painkillers that she was consuming, she definitely needs to eat something so it wouldn't affect her stomach. She pulled herself up, slowly getting up to her feet. The pain on her feet was a lot more obvious than earlier, probably since the sedate has worn off. 

She limped downstairs, surprised to find the kitchen was already well lit. 

"Declan?" Ayla called out once she saw Declan near the kitchen island. 

Declan jumped a little, not expecting someone to walk in at that time. "You? Wh-what are you doing here?"

"I'm a little hungry. I haven't eaten anything since last morning" Ayla said.

"You want some noodles?" Declan asked.

"Yes, please" Ayla smiled

"Have a seat" Declan ushered her to sit at the kitchen island while he walks to the stove. He was already cooking instant noodles before she walked in.

Ayla gladly sat on the high stool at the kitchen island. 

"I actually accidentally opened two packets of instant noodles and I was wondering how was I gonna finish 'em up on my own. Luckily you're here" Declan said to which Ayla chuckled.

"Here you go" Declan came with two bowls to the kitchen island and took a seat across her.

"Thank you, chef" Ayla teased to which Declan gave a small smile. 

They both ate in silence. Both were equally hungry and they were just thankful to have to fill their grumbling tummies. 

"Hey, uhm" Declan called out, his fingers tapping on his fork, trying to calm his nerves.

"What's up?" Ayla asked, not looking up from her bowl.

"I uh... I just wanted to say that I appreciate you having my back earlier" Declan said. 

Ayla lifted her eyes up and gave him a small smile. "Nah, that was nothing"

"I don't know why you did that but I just... thank you" Declan said.

"Anytime, bro. I got your back" Ayla winked, quickly breaking eye contact and continue eating her noodles. She had yet to calm herself down from the mental breakdown earlier and talking about it would definitely make her break down again.

"I don't know if anyone would've did that for me. Especially after treating you so badly and just cursing at you and causing you to get injured, I just couldn't help but wonder. Why? Why did you do that?" Declan asked. He would go crazy if he didn't get those answers.

"Why did you take all the heat when it was me who deserved to be yelled at?" Declan asked when Ayla remained silent. 

"First of all, it was me who told you that I would be fine on my own and that you didn't have to take care of me. I should've known my place and I deserved to be yelled at just now. It isn't your fault" Ayla said, trying to avoid talking about it.

"No, it isn't. Dad didn't mean to take his anger on you and that wasn't the main reason why we were quarreling either. You came in at the wrong time and you defended me at the wrong time which is why he took all his anger of me at you. Otherwise, he didn't mean to yell at you" Declan said.

"Either way, the damage is done, Dec. There isn't any use in talking about it already" Ayla said, getting up from her seat and walking towards the sink.