Chapter 11 - The Cousins

"Hunter, is that you?" A voice erupted from the dining hall doorway, grabbing everyone's attention.

"Hey, dad. Hey Lynn" Hunter said, walking towards the older man and a woman who was holding him. Hunter helped the man to sit on the chair, setting his stick aside before sitting beside Ayla again.

"Dad, Lynn and Neysa. This is Ayla Georgia Helmsley, the newest member of the family" Hunter introduced Ayla.

"Oh, yes, yes. I've been waiting for so long to meet you" The man said, extending his arm. Ayla immediately got up and kneeled beside him, bringing him into a hug. 

"Baby, this is your Papaw Paul" Hunter said to which Ayla nodded. 

"He's a lot good looking than you, daddy" Ayla commented, making the others laugh, except for Hunter.

"What?" Hunter's eyes widen, not expecting his name to be brought up.

"That boy got only part of my genetics. You should see me when I was younger. Your daddy can't compete with me" Paul said, making everyone laugh harder.

"Dad, that's enough damage you've done to me" Hunter said, a smile crept at the end. You can see where Hunter got all his sense of humor from.

"Believe me, I was extremely hot back then. That's why your Nana chose me anyway" Paul said, casually eating a cookie. 

"Oh please" Patricia rolled her eyes, while the others laughed at her reaction. Yup, definitely Hunter got all of it from his dad.

"I like her already, Hunt. She's now my favorite grandchild" Paul joked, Ayla giggling along.

"I'm glad you like her, dad" Hunter said.

"Woah, Papaw, what about me?" The girl beside Hunter spoke for the first time ever since Ayla got here. "And Pete?"

"Aww Ney, it's okay, you're still my favorite niece" Hunter said, putting an arm around her. 

The girl looked at Ayla with crossed arms and with a deathly glare. 

"I don't like her" She said, storming out of the dining hall, leaving the place in awkward silence.

Ayla raised an eyebrow and watched as she made her way out. She wasn't surprised actually. It wasn't the first time someone's said that to her. She just didn't know how to react in front of the family. 

"What's wrong with her?" Patricia asked, her hands on her waist.

"No idea. Did I say something wrong?" Paul asked.

"No dad, you didn't. She's just having a hard day" The woman beside Paul said before walking towards Ayla.

"It's okay, baby" Hunter soothed her to which Ayla nodded.

"I'm so sorry. She is not usually like that" She said.

"It's okay, I understand. It takes time" Ayla nodded with a short smile.

"Baby, this is your Aunt Lynn. And that was your cousin Neysa" Hunter said, pointing the way Neysa went just now.

"Its nice to meet you, Aunt Lynn" Ayla said with a smile. 

"Likewise. We were all excited to meet you when Hunter said he is bringing you here. I even bought something for you" Lynn said, going through her pocket and taking out a box, handing it to Ayla.

"Aww Aunt Lynn, you didn't have to" Ayla said. She looked at Hunter for permission and took the box from Lynn when Hunter nodded.

"It's nothing, really. Go on, open it" Lynn said to which Ayla eagerly opened it.