Chapter 64 - The Tears

Ayla held a spoon of rice, blowing the steam off of it and taking a spoon full. Her eyes glued to her plate, her spoon fiddling with her food as she sat there uncomfortably with a pair of hazel eyes staring her from across the table. 

Bret on the other hand was wishing Ayla would finish up her lunch faster so they could leave from this awkward lunch with Stephanie and Hunter. No one spoke a word ever since they arrived to the restaurant apart from ordering the food. 

Stephanie was on the phone while waiting for their food since she and Hunter practically abandoned all their work back in WWE and left without making any early preparations. RAW was in 2 days and they both haven't exactly got all their work done for the show this week. Even SmackDown was a mess last night since Hunter wasn't there to supervise the show in person and Vince had to take up at the very last minute. Of course, both of them got an earful for being so irresponsible and abandoning all their work without letting earlier notice. 

Usually Vince is very lenient when it comes to Hunter and Stephanie in case they wanted time off but he can't tolerate the fact that they left overnight without any notice and especially the reason for their actions was for the person he hated the most in the world. He was furious when he knew that his daughter and son-in-law are in another country to find for their daughter that he doesn't approve of, that too in the house of his 2 decades long enemy. 

Hunter hadn't said a word since he arrived, only went on to stare at his daughter who wouldn't even look him in the eye. He had grown skinnier, his face looks pale as though he hadn't gotten any sleep for some days. Probably also from how hard he tries to control his cough ever since he arrived at the restaurant. He'd been wearing thick jackets in the middle of summer ever since he'd arrived here three days ago. Clearly, he's grown sick. Why? Bret wasn't really sure. But all Bret could assume was how much he's worried of Ayla. His father's instinct tells that Hunter is really sorry for what he'd done and he can see how much Hunter is trying to make it up to Ayla. He'd been stopping by every single day with Stephanie along, bringing her out for shopping or spend time together in Bret's backyard. Mostly it was just Stephanie and Ayla doing the talking, Hunter and Ayla hadn't spoken a word to each other ever since day 1.

On the other hand, Bret couldn't help but feel proud of how much Kev has been trying too. He'd stop by almost every meal hours, breakfast, lunch, dinner, sometimes even supper, making sure that Ayla has eaten. He even buys her favorite delicacies, cakes, donuts, breads, tarts, you name it. He spoils her like a little child, doing everything he can to make sure she has her tummy full every time. Honestly, this was the most that Bret has seen Ayla eaten in weeks. It enlightens on how much Kev takes care of her well being. Although that didn't change his perception on Kev on being the biggest asshole in the entire world, he would give a little credit for how much he cares for Ayla. 

Same goes for Hunter and the rest of his Kliq buddies. They have never earned a good reputation from Bret since day 1, but he is surprised on how caring and loving they've all been towards Ayla. Only on that scale, he would admit that they can be sweethearts too.

"I understand, dad. I'll get it done tonight. Yeah. See you daddy" Stephanie said, ending the hour long call from Vince, setting her phone aside with a sigh. "Sorry about that. Apparently we both have to finalize the scripts by tonight for SmackDown and also the logo for Payback next month" Stephanie turned towards them with a smile and picked up her spoon and fork.

"That sounds rough" Bret said, taking a sip of his drink. Hunter and Stephanie decided that they would take her out on lunch today since Kev has been taking care of Ayla's meals these few days. It's heartwarming how both are trying their best to make Ayla feel welcomed. It was clear how much it wasn't about ego for both of them, it was genuinely care and love they have for her. Ayla refused to go alone with them. Bret wasn't really sure why but he'd just followed her without a question. He does wonder why since she was comfortable going with Kev, Scott and Kid alone, but not with Hunter and Stephanie, her parents.