Chapter 20 - The Brightest Star

Shawn drove them straight to his parents' house since it was the nearest to the mall and Ayla needed to change. Carol was delighted to see Ayla again. Rebecca and the children weren't at home, so was Shari, Scott and Randy. Carol handed Ayla one of Shawn's old shirt and Cameron's old pants. Cameron's pants fit perfectly for her but Shawn's shirt was really oversized. It was Shawn's old football jersey back when he was a teen. Even then Shawn was twice the size of her. Cameron's pants were the ones he used to wear when he was 12 which fits her perfectly at the age of 19. Basically the Michaels family were just bigger than Ayla.

Ayla then joined Shawn at the ranch, Carol made them tea but she didn't want to join them since she was busy making dinner. The evening view was perfect, with the animals roaming around and the sun setting behind those hills. Hunter would have loved this view, just as much as Ayla does.

The two were quiet for a moment, enjoying the scenery when Shawn decided to start a conversation.

"So, are you gonna tell me?" Shawn asked, pointing at her bruises.

"Do you really want to know?" Ayla asked.

"Yeah, duhh? I mean, unless if Hunter abused you, then I don't wanna know cuz for sure I'll kick his ass" Shawn joked.

"What? No! No, not that, Shawn. Jeez" Ayla laughed. "He would never abuse me"

"I know, I'm just kidding. So, tell me. What made you look like Humpty Dumpty?" Shawn asked, slurping on his tea.

"I hope it's not that bad" Rebecca said, walking towards them with Cameron following behind.

"Becca!" Ayla squealed, bringing her into a hug.

"Hey babe. When did you guys come?" Shawn asked.

"Just a while ago. Nana told us that you both are out here, so here we are" Cameron explained, taking a seat beside Ayla, Becca sitting beside Shawn, the group forming a circle as they relaxed on the perfectly trimmed grass.

"Jesus, what happened to your face?" Becca just seemed to realize Ayla's bruises.

"You're gonna tell us each and everything that happened, honey bee or you're gonna face the wrath of the heart break kid and I'm telling you, it ain't pretty" Shawn warned to which Ayla chuckled. She knows that Shawn was being serious but Shawn's serious face was too adorable that made her laugh.

"Alright, dream boy. I'll tell you" Ayla said, telling everything that happened. She told him everything on how she begin to travel with the shield, to the controversy with Seth, the encounter at the restaurant and to the brawl earlier. Shawn, Rebecca and Cameron heard each and everything that she said with full attention.

Ayla got a little emotional when she told about how Becky called Stephanie a bitch and her yelling at Hunter. Shawn held her close, rubbing her arm to comfort her.

"Wow, I didn't think Becky Lynch was like that" Cameron said when Ayla finished telling what happened.

"Me neither. I honestly can't put it together. I can't see where I did wrong for her to hate me that much" Ayla rambled.

"Me too. But all I gotta say is that I feel you better stay away from Seth. For the time being, at least" Cameron said.

"But why? I mean, we're travel buddies. We're great friends" Ayla said.

"Cameron is right. From what you've told, I have a strong feeling that Becky is insecure of the two of you. She is afraid you might take her boyfriend away even though I know you aren't that kind of a girl" Shawn supported.

"Thanks, Shawn. But still, why do I have to give up on my friendship with Seth when it is her fault that she doesn't trust her boyfriend and feels insecure about me? I mean, Seth has told her many times that we're just friends and we even consider each other like siblings. We even went live of social media to clear up about the controversy so this issue was eventually solved. If she is still not satisfied about it, she could have come to me and Seth and talk it out nicely. I would have happily clarified everything that she needs to know. But she chose to be violent and savage? I don't think this is just some insecurity issue" Ayla pointed out.