Chapter 51 - The Truth

Hunter left first thing this morning. Hunter had already left way before Ayla woke up because he knew she wasn't gonna let him go if he waited for her. He spent the whole night last night with her and Stephanie, talking about the most random things and cracking jokes up. He made sure to cuddle both of them to sleep before slowly making his way out in the middle of the night, careful so Ayla didn't wake up. 

Stephanie did wake up to say goodbye although it wasn't a usual goodbye. To be honest, she missed him now more than ever as well. She wanted him to be with her now and she didn't want him to leave. But then again, duty calls. Like it or not, he had to leave right now. 

Stephanie smiled as she watched Hunter kiss Ayla goodbye on the forehead and patting her back to sleep when she stirred a little. He held Stephanie's hand and led her out of the dark room, making their way to the main door. 

Hunter held both of her hands, staring at her pouty face.

"Hey, babe. What's with the long face?" Hunter asked.

Stephanie looked down, her lips pushed forward, forming a pout. 

"Steph?" Hunter said in a comforting tone, pulling her close and wrapping an arm around her. He reached up and tucked her hair behind her ear before cupping her cheek, pushing her chin up slightly so her eyes met his. Although it was dark outside where they stood, he could still see the gleam in her beautiful brown eyes.

"You know I can't leave if you do that face" Hunter said in the lowest voice ever, holding her as though she was a pure gem.

Stephanie laid her head over his shoulder, wrapping her arm around his neck. 

"I'll miss you" Stephanie muffled as her lips were attached on his clothed shoulder.

Hunter smiled behind her back, one hand reaching up to caress the back of her head while the other caressed her lower back. He placed a kiss on her neck, long. He begin swaying them side to side, breaking into a slow dance. No music, no audience, no light. Just the two of them, hearts connected, their minds playing their own music. The midnight breeze accompanied them both as they swayed in each others arms.

I found a love, for me
Darling, just dive right in and follow my lead
Well, I found a girl, beautiful and sweet
Oh, I never knew you were the someone waiting for me'
Cause we were just kids when we fell in love
Not knowing what it was
I will not give you up this time
But darling, just kiss me slow
Your heart is all I own
And in your eyes, you're holding mine
Baby, I'm dancing in the dark
With you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass
Listening to our favorite song
When you said you looked a mess
I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it
Darling, you look perfect tonight

The perfect song ran through his head as he held Stephanie in his arms, hoping she could listen to it. Of course, the last thing he wanted to do was sing out loud and scare all the birds.

Hunter broke the hug but still had one arm around her as he lifted her chin up. Her eyes were glassy and she looked as though she didn't want to let him go. 

"You know I'll stay if you told me to, right?" Hunter whispered, caressing her cheek with his thumb.

The look in her eyes told a whole story of how much love she had for him. Certainly, she wished she could just utter those words, please stay. As much as she needed him right now, she knew how much important his job is. 

Stephanie nodded in response to his question, breaking eye contact. The more she stared at him, the more she'd want him to stay. She took a deep breath, trying to regroup herself.