Chapter 67 - The Hatchet In The Fire

Kev threw his gaze out the window, looking at the luxurious swimming pool at Bret's backyard where Ayla sat there in Hunter's arms, not letting him go for even one second. Hunter loyally rubbed her arm the whole time, both of them haven't spoken a word to each other, simply accompanied by a comforting silence.

Kev sipped his drink, setting the cup aside when a buzz on his phone caught his attention. He sighed as he read the text from his wife, asking when is he coming back with Ayla and excited she is. Tamara has always been a fond of Ayla. Tamara has always wanted a daughter more than Kev has. He understands how lonely it can get for Tamara when she is surrounded by big boys all the time and she could use a girl's company sometime.

When he first came here, he was determined to bring Ayla back with him. It might sound selfish of him to wanting to do so, but he was doing it out of love and care he has for the little girl. She has always been a little girl in his eyes. She has remained the sweet little princess ever since she walked into his life, the day he and the rest saved her from her attackers. He fell in love with the little girl the minute he picked up her unconscious body in his arms. An indescribable amount of care and the urge to protect her at all costs just took over him.

Hunter rubbed the top of her hand that was curled up and buried in his palms, protected from the cool air. His other arm loyally rubbed her head that rested on his chest. The peace he felt in his heart was irreplaceable. He has never felt so calm in his life before.

Ayla looked up at Hunter, who seemed to be in his own thoughts. The dark circles around his eyes made him look too awful for a TV figure. She has hardly seen him with dark circles since Hunter prioritizes sleep a lot and lives a really healthy lifestyle. The occasional coughs and the red nose showed how sick he was, yet he was still trying to look fine in front of her and everyone else. Her heart ached to see him in this condition.

Hunter lets out a long sigh as he calms himself from all of his racing thoughts and lowered his chin, surprised to meet Ayla's eyes.

"You good?" Hunter asked, his voice was a little cracky.

Ayla nodded, her eyes not leaving his.

"You need anything? Drinks or anything?" Hunter asked again.

She shook her head.

"You wanna say something?" Hunter asked again, knowing that there must be something on her mind.

Ayla gave a long thought before nodding.

"Alright, what is it?" Hunter asked.

"Can we throw a barbeque party? Over here?" Ayla asked.

Hunter was taken aback by that sudden request, something he didn't even think of. It wasn't about the party that was shocking, but the fact that she wants to do it here, in Bret's household was the one shocking. He wasn't sure why she wanted to do it here despite knowing the history between Bret and all of the Kliq. They were all even sitting in his house only for Ayla's sake and it kills their ego to even be there for more than a minute, getting weird stares from their decade-long enemy. Now, she wants them to celebrate with Bret?

"We can have a party when we're back in America, sweetie" Hunter comforted.

"But I wanted one here" Ayla said.

Hunter scratched his beard, thinking of a way to politely say no. "I don't think its a good idea, kiddo. And besides, I don't think Bret wants to have us throwing a party in his nice mansion, right? I mean, you know how we boys could get if its a party and stuff. So...."

"Bret said he was fine with it. I told him the other day and he said he was okay with it" Ayla reasoned.

Hunter's already wrinkled forehead made even deeper lines as he heard those words. It was so unlikely of Bret. He knew that Bret hated him with every inch of his life and he knows the feeling was mutual.